AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/)
-   -   PRND Indicator Lights All On.. Please HELP!! (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/prnd-indicator-lights-all-please-help-135222/)

amandap 07-15-2009 12:03 PM

PRND Indicator Lights All On.. Please HELP!!

Hi-

I have a 98 A8. Recently at a red light when I went to drive my car did not move until I gave it ALOT of gas, I then noticed all of my shift(gear) indicator lights were all illuminated. Got it home and parked it. A couple of days ago I talked to someone and he told me to try pulling the neg off the battery wait a little bit and put it back and see if that helps any. Started up and reversed out of my driveway fine but when I went into drive it barely moved, again I had to give it ALOT of gas (?) Dropped it off he hasn't looked at it yet but wanted to see if anyone out there could give me any advice before I get a crazy price quote for a repair that could be something else.

I'm not too good with cars so ANY advice or if anyone has heard of anything else PLEASE let me know..

Thanks!!!
Amanda

auditech79 07-15-2009 05:28 PM

You are in transmission limp mode, it will put the trans in 3rd gear only to "limp" your way home. Thats why you had to give it a lot of gas.
Its most likely an electrical failure such as the transmission range switch, or the TCM (transmission control unit) It could also be something like a shift solinoid, whatever the cause you can bet it will cost you around $500+ to fix.

Midniteoyl 07-15-2009 09:46 PM

Get it to a shop and read the codes.. you'll know more and we can advise more when you do.

amandap 07-17-2009 09:37 AM

Thanks for the replies!!! Still waiting for the guy to actually look at it!! :(

amandap 07-21-2009 12:58 PM

ugh.. going on over a week and still nothing..!?

Midniteoyl 07-21-2009 04:57 PM

If they cant look at it to at least get some codes w/in 24 hrs, take it somewhere else.

amandap 10-22-2009 10:08 AM

At the time I was told that it was an "internal slippage" and was advised I would need a new tranny. I wasn't given any codes. After finding that out I decided not to replace. I started researching some more recently and am trying to figure out if that was just a faulty code that was read and it could be something electrical?? All the posts I've read with this problem are given the same reply about a TCM ?? Or something electrical.. Any help would be grately appreciated... Should I bring it somewhere else?? Also, if that code keeps coming up how do I find out if it really is in need of a tranny or not..

AWDaholic 10-22-2009 08:22 PM

Amanda, you can be my 1st test case. Go here:

https://www.audiforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=140752

Post up your plaintive plea, and see if you get any bites!

Not the best solution, but, you never know.

Good luck!

balla915 11-01-2009 09:34 PM

Amanda,

Have you fixed your transmission problem? I have been dealing with my for a little over a year now. I actually had mine at the Audi of Albuquerque who claimed that solved my transmission problem by installing a brand new transmission from Germany. I never authorized that so I had them put my "old" transmission back in. It was at the dealer for over two weeks and $1300 later I still have my car in limp mode. All the local transmission shops also say that my transmission is "fried." I believe that it is an electrical problem and I will exhaust all means before I pay $7k for labor and a new transmission. The dealership did say they found a deteriorated vacuum hose that they replaced. I had two tie rods and alignment done but I still have the check engine light on and the limp mode. Let me know what you find out

gerryinOlyWa 12-28-2009 01:23 AM

No hope here, the trannies are dead

I bought a new one from Kirt Koller (can't recall the business name, sorry) a noted DT transmission guru for $2500. It comes with a 1 year warranty. So far (several thousand miles) so good. He sells his stuff on eBay. Good luck.