Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Problem with suspension

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 03:53 PM
1st Gear
Default Problem with suspension

Hello, I have a 2004 Audi A8L with 65k miles on it. I have started having problems with the suspension. I don't know if is a leak or its the sensors.
Some times it does not give any problems. Other times I started the car and after a few minutes of driving I get a yellow light indicating a suspension problem. If I go to car setup menu I have the car on dynamic, and all other options are greyed out. Sometimes I have two of the four options greyed out.
I don't see the car sagging on any wheel. It is just low.
Even with the options not greyed out the car will not raise to the higest position.
Sometimes I also get a stability control yellow light on, then the next few times I drive the car it doesn't.
What can be happening, it's a sensor/electronic issue? airbags?
My car is just out of the extendend warranty (of course) what can I do?
Juan

Old 11-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Site Moderator

Pretty hard to diagnose an $80,000 car by guessing, there are computers for just about every function on that car for a reason. You need to have the fault codes read.
The fact that the options for the suspension settings are being greyed out indicates the car is shutting off the system, it can be just about anything on THAT car.

Old 12-17-2010, 08:31 AM

The same thing happened to my 2007 A8 with 55K miles. It turned out they had to replace the air suspension compressor and relay. Works like a charm now after spending $2,013!

Last edited by tryingtofigureitout; 12-17-2010 at 08:34 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-28-2011, 09:58 AM
1st Gear

I am having the same issue with the jack mode light on and greyed out settings....Did anyone ever figure out the issue?? I read on other forums it is more than likely the relay which caused the 40 amp fuse to blow? and stealers just like to change the compressor while their at it?

Vag Codes: 01777 - Level Control Accumulator Valve (N311) 009 - Open/short to ground
and 01772 - Signal from level control pressure sensor (G291) 008 - Implausible Signal

Any part number for the relay and schematics of the location?

THANKS in advance for any help!

Old 09-29-2011, 06:33 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by JLM04A8L
I am having the same issue with the jack mode light on and greyed out settings....Did anyone ever figure out the issue?? I read on other forums it is more than likely the relay which caused the 40 amp fuse to blow? and stealers just like to change the compressor while their at it?

Vag Codes: 01777 - Level Control Accumulator Valve (N311) 009 - Open/short to ground
and 01772 - Signal from level control pressure sensor (G291) 008 - Implausible Signal

Any part number for the relay and schematics of the location?

THANKS in advance for any help!
I hard wired the compressor and it kicked on..what a relief!...can anyone direct me to the location of the relay?
The 40 amp orange fuse under the steering column is good!!??
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by JLM04A8L; 09-29-2011 at 07:30 PM. Reason: added a troubleshoot
Old 09-30-2011, 10:11 AM
1st Gear

The relay is just above the fuse. The first one top left.

Old 09-30-2011, 10:23 AM
1st Gear

I have the old one I took out, it's from a 2004 and has the number 373 12V40A stamped on it. It was right above the fuse top left corner one. Audi sold me a new one when I bought a new compressor.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:50 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by grease
I have the old one I took out, it's from a 2004 and has the number 373 12V40A stamped on it. It was right above the fuse top left corner one. Audi sold me a new one when I bought a new compressor.
THANKS for the info...I'm just going to change it regardless because I read around that it can damage the compressor??

Old 10-14-2014, 04:52 PM
1st Gear
Default Air Compressor Problems

Hello Everyone,
I have a 2004 Audi A8 L and seem to be having a very common problem which is car's suspension system not working properly. Yes! i am also seeing those yellow and green car lights on my dash and its moody because sometimes out of the blue it would just start working, but it has not done that lately and now the lights are just continuously blinking not sure what that means. A buddy suggested that I change my relay first as its only 28 dollars from the dealer. I don't want to and refuse to pay these pirates 2500 dollars to change my air compressor as they stated is the problem. But if that was the case how could my pump come back to life every now and then? so i am guessing it can also be a relay.

What i needed to know is if any one can post the exact pic or directions for where the relay is located and which exact relay is it?

I am not very techy or car savy but I am willing to give this a shot since paying 2500 would make anyone techy and savy.

Please advise and Thank you in advance.

Old 10-14-2014, 05:29 PM
1st Gear

Well.... the system is acting up because either the compressor has failed, or is failing, due to a leak.
Typically the relay gets burned out because the compressor runs so much, and will usually throw a DTC saying that it shut down due to overheating.

You can try the relay but I doubt it's a long term solution.

The leak should be fixed first if there is one.
Sometimes the valve block also leaks or fails.
Then move on to the compressor if it has seized or failed by rebuilding or replacing.

A full Auto-Scan is your best bet before throwing parts at it any more expensive than that relay

Edit:
ps - the explanation of the two lights flashing is in the manual, but I can't for the life of me remember what it means
pps - is one, or several, of the corners of the vehicle sagging or lowering overnight ? <-- means you have a leak

Last edited by jakematic; 10-14-2014 at 05:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Problem with suspension