AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/)
-   -   Quick tire qestion... (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/quick-tire-qestion-7823/)

AWDaholic 03-31-2005 02:57 PM

Quick tire qestion...

...or two.

What's the offset for a '99 D2 quattro?

What's the widest footprint recommended:
Stock ride height-
1.2" lowered f&r-

I'm just doing a little fact gathering for future upgrades.

ImolaS4 04-06-2005 01:02 AM

RE: Quick tire qestion...

Stock offset is 48.

I don't think there is a standard answer for the correct limit when increasing footprint width because there is more to the equation than just width (if you are concerned about rubbing, etc.).

A good rule of thumb is to keep the width within 1/2 inch of stock width for the front. The rears are more about what the fenders will allow, which is different with each model.

AWDaholic 04-06-2005 10:42 AM

Thanks Imola. I don't plan to go with different widths, front to rear, mostly because it removes the practical ability to rotate your tires for maximal wear. Also, since it's a Q, the turning radius ain't exactly tiny. Wider rears will only accentuate the inherent understear already prevelant on AWD vehicles.

Follow up question:
What size thumb should I use?
(I know, I know, obscure humor)

ImolaS4 04-06-2005 02:30 PM

Remember that the wider the footprint, the greater the wet road handling dynamics decrease. (Does that make sense?) I mean... the wider you go from stock, the greater chance of wet road slippage - all else being equal.

AWDaholic 04-06-2005 04:28 PM

Troo, all else being equal. From personal experience (up and down teh Auto-Bahns/Stradas/Routes of Europe) Falkens (zx512's) give superlative w/wether handling. Gentle, progressive breakaway charastistics, even in the most torential of downpours (Ever been above 110 in the rain? Your wipers float, so you'd BETTER have Rain-X's your windows.). Good evacuation, so you don't get a lot of hydroplanning, like I've experienced with Michelin & Pirelli, at speed, in the rain. Even at that, you are right, a thinner footprint for a given tread pattern would be less likely to plane. My long-term plan is to go +2 for summer (we don't get all hat much rain, generally, here, in Summer), and OEM in Winter. I'm just not the type to wait until I'm ready to do it before I start gathering relevant data.

ImolaS4 04-06-2005 04:34 PM

Your sig says DC, but you speak of Europe. Where are you?

AWDaholic 04-07-2005 03:06 AM

I currently *live* in DC, but I *lived* in Europe for, like 17 years. Italy and Germany, mostly, but I've spent various lengths of time in many, many other countries, including two of the former Eastern Bloc countries. <sniff-sniff> U got me all teary-eyed, again, missin' those late night blasts between Stuttgart and Laudenbach (equidistant btwn Heidelberg & Darmstadt)... Did it in 42 minutes, once, HONEST!!! Drove a '93 Opel Calibra, Turbo. Whatta car! Wish't I cudda brought it back wit me. Sadly...

You go by Imola... Ever been there?

ImolaS4 04-07-2005 03:51 AM

No, not yet. Funny you should ask... I have plans for this summer though.

AWDaholic 04-07-2005 04:53 AM

Njoy yer trip. Never made it there myself, even tho I lived in Italy 4 years. Life, ya kno...

You won't be too far from San Marino. If you get a chance, include it in your itinerary. Interesting country, interesting history.

Don't know if you'll be doing any driving but, if so, there's a few things to keep in mind...

The ONLY reason they have traffic laws in Italy is to determine who's at fault should there be an accident. You'll see. At intersections where there isn't a semoforo (traffic light) controlling the action... Quickness rules. Gross tonnage comes a close second. What that means is: Trucks WILL try to indimidate, so ya gotta be quick. Hesitate and you're into a ditch, guaranteed.

They have a couple of interesting laws that aren't found ANYWHERE else. Left turn onto a private drive (anything OTHER than a public road is considered a private drive) requires that you pull to the right, and clear traffic BOTH ways, before proceeding. No one does it, tho. It's impractical. I actually rear-ended a guy, in the rain, one stormy night, and he had to pay for my repairs because he was turning into a gas station. Sucked 2 B him. The other one is: a single dashed line down the middle of a two-lane road (one lane each direction) CAN become a passing lane, as long as the person passing has their left turn signal on. Make sure of your ability to re-join teh traffic flow because no one is gonna let you back in easy. They won't hit you, or force contact, just close up on you and make it tight. If ya gots a pair you can squeeze in, NP. Show no fear and you'll do OK.

If you get on teh Autostrada: Make sure you have cash... it's a toll road, usually, and the fines are pretty stiff for running outta gas, so pay attentiopn to the signs that tell you how far the next gas station is.

Find a cafe, or a trattoria, or just about ANY place that sells food, and ask for a "cafe-corretto." Not sure if I spelled it right but if you pronounce it like it reads they'll understand. It's an expresso with a shot of Brandy (or whisky, or rum, or whatever you fancy, but Brandy tastes best, IMHO). Hell, order a duplo (means double), they're inexpensive.

I cud go on, and on, but I'll pinch it off, here. Again, Njoy yer trip.

ImolaS4 04-07-2005 05:11 AM

Great tips. Thanks. When the time gets closer to departure, I'll PM you for final advice. Thanks again.