Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Rear Caliper Will Not Screw In

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 10:27 PM
Default Rear Caliper Will Not Screw In

I am changing all rotors and pads on my 2002 A8 and it seems each step has had unforeseen challenges. I used the brake tool from Harbor Freight to do the drivers side, and installed my Mintex Red box pads and rotor without a hitch. Figured the passengers side would take about 20 minutes. Boy was I wrong. The caliper will not turn. I was putting so much force on the tool that the little handle bent. Is my caliper frozen, and in need of repair, or could it be the emergency brake cable? I am thinking about trying this again tomorrow by removing the emergency brake cable if it will really help. I never use the emergency brake anyway.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:07 AM
Senior Administrator

sounds like the caliper is frozen. hate to give old-school advice but, did you try whackin the snot outta it a few tmes with a BIG-***'D hammer, then tryin the tool, again?!?!?

Old 08-19-2009, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by AWDaholic
sounds like the caliper is frozen. hate to give old-school advice but, did you try whackin the snot outta it a few tmes with a BIG-***'D hammer, then tryin the tool, again?!?!?
I am not against going old school. As soon as I find someone who has the caliper I will try that.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:13 PM
Senior Administrator

A thought occurs... If you do have a seized caliper, it might be better to just replace it, or see if you can find someone to rebuild it. Iount know. WHacks with a hammer MAY free it up enough to get it to screw in, but, no guarantee it won't re-seize, for the same reason as it did in the first place (lack of lube, I'm assuming). Also, i it did seize from lack of lube, you might want to also check for a "kinked" brake-line, while you've got it up on stands.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:53 PM

A thought occurs... If you do have a seized caliper, it might be better to just replace it, or see if you can find someone to rebuild it. Iount know. WHacks with a hammer MAY free it up enough to get it to screw in, but, no guarantee it won't re-seize, for the same reason as it did in the first place (lack of lube, I'm assuming). Also, i it did seize from lack of lube, you might want to also check for a "kinked" brake-line, while you've got it up on stands.
Wow that is funny. You must have ESP. I said to myself today since I plan on keeping this car for a long time it would be better to just get a new caliper. Little did I know I am the only person in Cleveland who has ever needed this part because nobody had one. I literally had to get a new one. I am assuming it was new because there was no core charge. Of course $260.00 extra dollars was not budgeted into this job, but I saved a ton on labor so all is well. Since I have the old caliper I am going to look into getting it rebuilt. I am also going to see if I can find a used one for the drivers side, and have that one rebuilt also. I have put brakes on many cars and this by far was the biggest adventure.

Last edited by Willrwilli; 08-19-2009 at 11:01 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:03 PM
Senior Administrator

don't forget to check for a kinked brake line on the seized side, just in case.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:05 AM

don't forget to check for a kinked brake line on the seized side, just in case.
Will do. Thanks

Old 08-20-2009, 12:29 PM
Senior Administrator

Also, in your search for replacement caliper, google: Shokan, and Dad's Auto. Both places have come through for me, in the past, with difficult to find parts; but, the do not ALWAYS have what you need. If not, and you don't mind mind-numbing time spent searching online: http://salvagecarsforsalenow.com/ is a list of more than 100 salvage yards.

Happy hunting!

Old 08-22-2009, 10:30 PM
2nd Gear

Eat your wheaties.

Put a pair of channel locks on that sucker and turn it like you hate it. Screw that stupid tool I never use it.