AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/)
-   -   Remote Starter and LED DRL - '08 A8 Newbie (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/remote-starter-led-drl-08-a8-newbie-163596/)

mtsolakis 01-24-2011 09:28 PM

2008 A8 Remote Starter and LED DRL Questions

Hi everyone, I just purchased a 2008 A8 CPO Silver/Tan with 17,000 miles and the following options.

Premium
B&O Sound
19" Wheels
Ventilated & massage seats
Soft-close doors
Dual-pane glass

I have a couple of questions that I hope you can help me with.

1) Is there a proven remote starter solution for my car? If so, what is the best make & model remote starter available? What should I look out for when choosing an installer? Is there anything else I need to know about the remote starter?

2) I want to swap out my incandescent DRLs with LED DRLs. I want to give it the look of the 2010 A8 which has a 5-LED round bulb DRL (not an LED strip) fitted where my incandescent DRL is located. I understand that I will have to purchase an LED kit to mimic the electrical loading of my incandescent bulbs so that warning lights are not set-off. What is the best LED DRL kit available for my vehicle?

3) Are there any Audi mechanics in the Washington Crossing, Pennsylvania vicinity that could perform future maintenance on my vehicle?

4) What are the best tires for my vehicle?

I would really appreciate any help and guidance you could provide on these questions.

Thank you.

Torsion'sA8 01-25-2011 06:32 AM

You should look for a shop that is fimiliar with doing other makes and mods with smart key. Honestly look for a half shady cat to do the install that will understand how to properly hide the interfaces. Any butt head out there wanting to steal your car that sees you car started via remote will know how to start it without you knowing. The box with your smart key should take a while to install, I normaly remove seats and put them under the carpet, or behind airbag mods in dash or even under center console. The longer it takes to install it the longer its going to take to steal it. Long story short you are going to need 3 interfaces installed. 1 CAN door lock, 2 one to hold your smart key with a switched battery "to maintain factory security, 3 push to start interface. Viper is a proven name in the industry I just installed a 5901 and the 2 way is awsome. I have had issues with the xpresskit interfaces, Fortin seems to be a few steps ahead on the quality side. If you want this installed it should not be cheap because of the possible security risk you are taking. As far as anti theft goes Audi did a great job with their smart key immo units, and "other than a flatbed" you will be leaving the only bypass that someone will need in the car. I am not trying to talk you out of it, I love my remote starts, just do it right.

silverd2 01-26-2011 09:59 PM

I recommend all-season performance tread...last longer than most summer only and with such cush suspension, most tires are gonna run pretty quiet. Look over this tire rack link for your size tires...esp look at the "survey" section for each, look for quiet ride, traction, etc...things important to you.
Good resource and good people to do business with:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...er=19&x=11&y=7

Torsion'sA8 01-26-2011 11:36 PM

Tires

I run Michelin pilot sport a s plus. Great tires, good in light snow better in heavier snow, the reviews on Tire Rack have it backwards. They are the best tires I have ever had on dry pavement! The down side... I did get a bad batch, produced 2 years ago all for tires had, well have broken belts or flat spots. Michelin did make it right with me, they have some of the best customer service that you can expect from a larger corp. I did buy another set of the same tire, even with the problems they are some of the best I have ever had. PS Tire Rack rocks.