AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/)
-   -   RS6 engine swap in a A8 1996 .posible or not (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/rs6-engine-swap-a8-1996-posible-not-22724/)

bjice 01-08-2006 08:54 PM

RS6 engine swap in a A8 1996 .posible or not

hi. im new here and just got a A8 and wanted to put a new RS6 engine in my A8(1996).is it posible to do that or am i just dreaming...thanks

HansBlix 01-08-2006 09:27 PM

RE: RS6 engine swap in a A8 1996 .posible or not

Isnt the RS6 engine based on the same 4.2 that the A8 has, but with twin turbos (among other things)? Would it not be cheaper and simpler to modify the existing engine?

Also, cost of RS6 engine vs cost of 1996 A8?

Where are you from, btw?

bjice 01-09-2006 08:22 AM

yes it would bee cheaper of course but the i like to have more power then the 300hp original 4,2l engine + the engine is like driven over 300,000km but looks like new car on the inside and outside..and im thinking of bying a brand new one just woundering if it wound be posible or if im just going to by a S8 desinge engine...i love my Audi A8 best car i ever had ,my old car was a Bmw m5....
by the way i live in Iceland........

AWDaholic 01-09-2006 02:55 PM

I think Hans was suggesting you find someone to slap a couple of turbos on your existing engine. Going that route, it stands to reason that you'd wanna re-build teh block & internals you're holding, right? SO, the kilometerage (is that a word?) wouldn't really be that much of an issue. Plus, the vin's would already match. Not sure what your speed-shop options/availability is in Reindeerville, though.

I'd say, yes, it's possible, inasmuch as it's the same basic engine, so fitment would only be a concern for teh blowers and pipes. A good shop'd be able to overcome those issues without too much hassle. It boils down to how much you wanna spend.

gapa8 01-10-2006 02:47 AM

I would agree with the other guys, finding an RS6 donor engine will be VERY expensive if you can find one at all. I do believe the blocks are similar (though the RS6 probably uses the S8's 32V block as a starting point?), but you may want to just find an engine from a newer used A8 and then slap a supercharger or Single stage turbo with new Intake and Exhaust. I'm not sure what you have invested in your high-mile 96' but in the US, a car like that even in GREAT condition would only sell for around $5000. A new engine and all of the accompanying goodies (Beefed up tranny, oil and transmission cooler, intake, manifolds, new exhaust, turbos or superchargers, gauges, etc..) would easily set you back $10000-$20000 depending on how much work you did versus a performance shop. Why not just sell your 96', take the money and buy one of those SCHWEET used Euro S8's with a 6-sp that we Americans look at iwith envy? I've seen them sell in Germany for only $12000-$15000. With the extra money you save, you can even afford an aftermarket exhaust, intake and reworked computer module which should easily give you over 400HP!

Good luck!

AWDaholic 01-10-2006 10:44 AM

I've got an even better idea http://www.websmileys.com/sm/fingers/fing10.gif just send me one of those 6-speed tranny's. My birthday's coming up in July. You should be able to afford one for me, by then, right?

bjice 01-10-2006 01:47 PM

i got the a8 96" for less then 1000$ from an incurance company here where i live in Iceland .the previus owner was a doctor how had a little accident on the left front bumper and the incurance company pay´d him for the car becouse the thought it would be to inspencive to fix but they are idiots and it cost me under 1500$ to fix it and its runs and looks like a new one it has all the extra things like the sport steering wheel and recaro leather seats heated seat and steering wheel an ESP, ASR,all the goods...i have talk to my Audi dealer in Iceland and they are willing to order a brand new A8 or a S8 engine from Germany and it only cost me 10000$.the doctor that used to owen it only drove it from work to home evry day and was the only one to sit in him...the seats are like new.........Yes and the incurance man how check´d the car workd for a car company that the incurance company fuck´d with and he is being sued for it,but i got my great car for nothing just to clear my thing and will never sell it ,love it...but i like to put two turbines if it is possible and i think it is by the sound of you folk´s......Cheer´s

AWDaholic 01-10-2006 03:32 PM

With all that money you saved I would think you could afford to give me a 6-speed transmission for my birthday... No?[:@]

gapa8 01-11-2006 02:30 AM

Two Turbines? Like Pratt & Whittney or Rolls Royce? Wanna boost up the power a bit to like 35000HP? HA!.. Just kidding, I know you mean Turbos.

Not to be harsh here, but I am lost as to your logic. Like I said before, you can buy a German S8 for only $12000. Why the H*LL would you want to buy the engine for $10k and dump it in a tired 96'?? If you got that good of a deal, then turnaround, sell the 96' and use the money towards a better A8. You're asking for REAL trouble trying to 'mix' components from different year and model vehicles. I am a bit of a Clairvoyant (not really) and I see what was a perfectly good 96' A8 that is now on blocks (not running of course) in a yard in Iceland with $10000 of work already done to it and needed many thousands more!

If you have the need to flush money down the toilet, I have some great Oceanfront Property in Arizona I will gladly sell you for whatever money you were going to spend on the A8 retroflub. :-)

dan908 01-11-2006 03:29 AM

DO IT

Oh the ultimate sleeper man! A 96 A8 with a 450 base easily attain 500+ horse engine. Wild man!

Why not just do like classics, and dump a corvette engine in it. Yeah not classy enough!

Yeah, I am excited, post pics man. I bet it will be cool.