Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Rumbling Noise & spilt coffee

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 11:47 PM
Default Rumbling Noise & spilt coffee

My worse worry is a rumbling noise I have with my 2005 A8L, 47,500 miles,I have a low level rumbling/vibration that occurs as i slow down, it consistently happens as you slow and occurs between 30 and 20 miles per hour, braking makes it worse. It does not appear at higher or lower speeds. I replaced front rotors and do not believe it is brakes. Dealer says no problem, car under warranty with 1500 milesleft. I have read control arms are problem, but what is symtom and definitive test to eliminate transmission which shifts fine.

I believe coffee spilt on buttons on console (drivers side/ radio/cd), buttons function but are sticky, how do you remove wood console panel, (should I) to clean buttons and what should I use?

Many tx for responses!

Old 03-22-2008, 02:14 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Rumbling Noise & spilt coffee

I can't speak to the rumbling other than that when my control arm went there was no rumbling, but I was a professional detailer for several years. If you want to do it perfectly you will have to remove the buttons where you can, but if you want it to look and work as good as new all you need to do is take some ISA and some q-tips to it. The alcohol will not damage anything and will help to clean out the junk under the buttons. I recommend diluting about 3 parts water o 1 part ISA. Afterwards I would use a glass cleaner or DI water to remove any residue the alcohol leaves behind.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:01 PM
Site Moderator
Default RE: Rumbling Noise & spilt coffee

Upper control arms yes, the bushings have been known to crack and break very quickly on the A8 which can cause anything from a bang, to grinding when turning. You will need to replace all four of them.

Use electrical contact cleaner to clean out the MMI button pack, to remove that whole unit you need to take out the ash tray, and un-bolt the A/C control head, then the wholeMMI swings out.