AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/)
-   -   Should I purchase a 2007 A8L or stay away (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/should-i-purchase-2007-a8l-stay-away-193464/)

eliotd 03-13-2013 02:03 PM

Should I purchase a 2007 A8L or stay away

sorry if you've seen this a million times, but I figure the owners are best to ask about their cars. I was in the market for a used car and thinking Lexus LS430, Mercedes E or S class, Jaguar XF, Infinity M35 and the dealer suggested I look at a 2007 A8 he has, so I am going to look at it in a little bit, but since I didn't have time to research, I am worried about dependability!!! I am at the top of my budget but would rather get something more luxurious than new. I do not have budget for costly repairs and only thing covered is the drive train! The cars has 60,000 miles on it. What should I look for, expect to go wrong, etc?
My little Lexus convertible has been solid and dependable, but Audi has been rumored to have reliability issues which was why I ruled out the 7 series BMW!

appreciate any and all feedback and thanks in advance.... going to dealer in a little while!

Jeff-AudiUSAParts 03-14-2013 06:20 PM

Here is a link somebody else posted on here I found a while back that might help you.

audipages Used A8 Buyer's Guide

snapdragon 03-15-2013 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff-AudiUSAParts (Post 1428118)
Here is a link somebody else posted on here I found a while back that might help you.

audipages Used A8 Buyer's Guide

That's for the model 7 years before. If you can't aford costly repairs, maybe the Lexus is best, but the most boring and doesn't give that 'special' feeling when driving it, just fells like a decent rental.

sincityaudi 03-16-2013 06:53 PM

The 2007 A8 is reliable engine and trans combination. The only problem we really see on them is the sporadic MMI system issue, which usually is resolved with an update, or the front air struts leaking because its an air ride suspension. the trans and engine are easily 100,000+ mile reliable if they were maintained properly by the previous owner. You should by which ever vehicle makes you smile the most and can feel comfortable paying for as no vehicle is a guarantee problem free ownership experience.

Gary Knox 03-17-2013 10:57 AM

2007 a8

I bought a 2007 A8 with 55K miles on it last August. Now have 60K on it, and it brings a smile to my face every time I leave the garage. Love the engine, transmission, the way it handles, acceleration, supremely comfortable seats/ride, etc.

I had one small glitch with the MMI (notorious gear broke), but got that repaired for $175. Had one light bulb out (driver's side "city" or parking light). It's a bitch to get at, but I finally replaced it. Turned off the TPMS which was giving false signals (Ross-Tech tool and my laptop, info on AudiWorld forum on how to do that). IF you can/like to do some of the servicing - Great. IF you want the dealer to do all servicing - like any European car (and some others as well) - Expensive. A good nearby Independent shop can be intermediate, but not many of those specialize in Audi A8's!

Sold a 2005 Lexus that my wife had. We BOTH like the Audi much better than the Lexus (8 years and 120K miles), but it was very reliable - just boring for me - a certified "car guy" (2 Porsches, a Benz, and an Alfa in the stable). IF I could only keep one of these cars, it would be the A8.

Gary Knox
West Chester, PA

eliotd 03-18-2013 10:01 AM

thanks for all the info, fell in love with the A8L, but interior looked like it went through 200k worth of wear and the oil light and bell kept going off during the test drive, so I passed...but it is still in my mind