AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/)
-   -   Thinking About Buying 2001 A8L (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/thinking-about-buying-2001-a8l-130574/)

Willrwilli 04-23-2009 12:32 AM

Thinking About Buying 2001 A8L

I am considering a 01 A8L for right at 10K. It has 91k miles on it. Here are my questions. Is 10K a good price on this? what things should I look at specifically? According to Carfax the car has been dealer maintained, but I don't see any record of the timing belt being changed. If I have to do this how much does this cost? Also how does the navigation system work? Does it really have a bunch of cd's? If so how do you update the system, do you have to buy new cd's? This is my second Audi, but my first in over 10 years. My last one was a 1988 80, so this is a major step up. I want to keep this car for at least 7 or 8 years, and the 10K is right at the high end of my budget. Any advice will be appreciated. The only other issue I have is of course the car is 300 miles away.

Jackmup 04-23-2009 10:25 AM

I just bought my 2000 for 6800.00 it smells and looks brand spankin new still has plastic on the floor mats was a single owner and came with all of the maintenance records new michelin tires and t-belt/waterpump done. SO for 10K I would want maintance records and the timing belt, rollers, tensioner, waterpump, thermostat, serpentine belt, complete fluid change, spark plugs new brake pads and tires. as for the Nav. It sucks don't bother buy a garmin. It does need disks but it is like using a commodore 64 compaired to todays GPS.

beware I also put 1200.00 in parts alone into mine so far and it was in great shape.

auditech79 04-23-2009 01:54 PM

Second everything jackmup said, except for the price. The price will vary differently depending on where you are in the country. In lets say the west coast, D2 A8's are pretty hard to come by so they still go for around 12k here even if it hasn't had the timing belt done ect. Personally i wouldn't pay more than 8k for an A8 because of the extensive maintenace it requires, but if the records check out and its really clean, it may warrant a 10k price tag. Now if you're in Pennsilvania or something then no its worth a lot less there.

Willrwilli 04-24-2009 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jackmup (Post 1077060)
I just bought my 2000 for 6800.00 it smells and looks brand spankin new still has plastic on the floor mats was a single owner and came with all of the maintenance records new michelin tires and t-belt/waterpump done. SO for 10K I would want maintance records and the timing belt, rollers, tensioner, waterpump, thermostat, serpentine belt, complete fluid change, spark plugs new brake pads and tires. as for the Nav. It sucks don't bother buy a garmin. It does need disks but it is like using a commodore 64 compaired to todays GPS.

beware I also put 1200.00 in parts alone into mine so far and it was in great shape.

How many miles were on yours?