Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Time to tackle the big one

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 04:39 PM
1st Gear

I've wondered about that, there's a sticker near the radiator that says OBD2 certified, in my way of thinking that should mean an OBD2 reader should be able to read it, but when I took it to my local valvoline they said they wouldn't touch it.
The only other times I've seen my check engine light are after heavy rain or heavy condensation, and it's gone away on it's own after a day or 2, so I'm still holding out hope that something got coolant on it and hasn't dried out yet, it has been cold and rainy here for the last few days.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:31 PM
2nd Gear

Your local garage is "mistaken" and that's being polite. OBD2 is a universal mandatory system that is standard for all cars (all brands) sold in the US since 1996.
I've used my little code reader on my neighbor's '97 Ford Taurus and saved him some serious $$, after a local garage fed him a load of crap they assumed he'd believe.
Yep, if it goes away, the problem no longer detected. It'll come back on if it detects the same problem for (I think) 3 running cycles in a row. Don't know what a lot of moisture would affect, though...never had that.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:32 AM
1st Gear

FOLLOW UP:

OK, so after changing everything over, the engine is running smooth as silk, I mean seriously, it's smoother than I've ever seen it, you can sit in the car with the engine going and not even know it. Trouble is, I keep getting the damn check engine light for 3 codes:
P1347/1340 - both camshaft sensors incorrect correlation.
P1141 - cross load balance check implausible value.
And the fun part is, after I erase the codes, the light might stay off for 10 minutes, or it might stay off for a couple of days, and I drive over 100 miles a day.
So with everything running so nicely, can my timing really be that far off? I'm really reluctant to mess with it because it's running so well, and on top of that, I had my valve covers off to replace the gaskets, and for whatever reason, my camshaft sprockets do not have timing marks on them, so I have no legitimate way to know where they really should be.
So does anyone know, is there any way to shut these codes up without messing with the timing? Because without those marks I'm really kinda screwed for any hope of improving things over what I've got now.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:44 AM
2nd Gear

Probably can't help a lot...never had a cam sensor or timing issue, but wanna ask a couple of questions:

Did you get the Bentley manual? ...there should be a square notch timing mark on the inside (cam side) of each internal cam sprocket showing TDC.

I assume you DID remove your cam belt sprockets during the T-belt job?

Old 09-22-2010, 08:51 AM
1st Gear

Yep, I've got the manual, and I have the triangles on the bearing blocks, but no notches on the sprockets, and I honestly cranked those things over about a dozen times in disbelief. I didn't remove the sprockets when I changed the belt, I used marks on them to know where everything was supposed to be.