Go Back  AudiForums.com > Audi Models > Audi A8
Transmission replacement- new or used? >

Transmission replacement- new or used?

Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Transmission replacement- new or used?

Old 11-06-2008, 11:18 AM
2nd Gear
Default Transmission replacement- new or used?

A friend of mine with 2003 S8 -( 90 k km~ 57k miles) got in an accident - drove over a rock on the road that hit his car and damaged the transmission, converters, some suspension components.

The insurance (car is fixed by dealers) offers him the options:
- used transmission (from scrap yard), 6 months warranty - for free.
- new transmission - live warranty - for $2300 ($2700 cad).

What would you suggest to be done?

(converters are coming from Ingolstadt).

Next thing is that there is no body structural integrity assessment done - the insurance company is offering one step at a time.
No wheel alignment done either.
(Initially the insurance company allowed just the transmission pan to be replaced).

The bill is piling and there is no final estimation at this point.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thx,

Old 11-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Site Moderator

The new transmission replacements have been upgraded from the faulty ones that were previously installed at the factory. I would spend the $2300 for a new one which is a steal in my opinion. Putting in a used D2 A8 transmission is a gamble at best, and if it does work, you may develop problems with the reverse gear within a year.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:51 AM
2nd Gear

There is the latest clarification (yesterday, from the dealers repair shop) => the "new" transmission is a rebuild one!
Warranty is 1 year or 20k km.
Comes with TC (not clear if rebuild or new, or used).

Not clear where the rebuild was done.

Still a rebuild transmission is a better choice?

Auditech79, are you familiar with S-Alignment?

There are difficulties to get an assessment on the structural integrity of the car (body).
What would you suggest to push the repair shop to perform in order to evaluate the body status?

The shop is the only one certified to handle R8 (in BC), but there is very little evidence they are handling the repairs as per factory's procedures.

Thx,

Old 11-07-2008, 08:30 PM
Site Moderator

That why the price was so low, a normal new D2 tranny costs 10 grand. Very few people in the country actually know how to re-build an A8 tranny, in this case i would get the free one.

S-alignment? You mean the S package with the sport suspension? I can align just about anything with four wheels, even custom cars with air suspension. What do you want to know?

Old 11-10-2008, 11:17 AM
2nd Gear

The procedure for wheel alignment states the steps:
-rear axle camber
-rear axle toe
-front axle camber
=> front axle toe constant "S"
there is a 44-42 table that indicates the toe-in/toe constant "S"
-front axle toe
(source is ElzaWin)

What is the importance of the "toe constant "S"? - it is stated for s-package and for non-s package as well
Which components are involved?
Is there a special equipment-alignment machine and tools necessary.

(The rebuild tranny is priced $5600, the owners part is $2300.)

Thx,

Old 11-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Site Moderator

Well 'Elza Win" is wrong, the factory ELSA WEB has the right specs.

On an audi you always have to adjust the front camber first, no matter what.
Then you move onto the rear camber, toe, and make sure the thrust angle is correct.
Now move to the front toe, this toe constant S i can only imagine is the raised toe setting. This is almost never adjusted, even at the dealer. If you look at your tie rod end you will see a little bolt on top of it, if you loosen that it lets the tie rod end link move upwards or downwards, this is called raised toe and its done while the car is lightly jacked up in the air. Basically, if you hit a bump and the raised toe is off, the wheel might turn on you a little bit if its off. Most of the time it doesn't change so its never adjusted. Skip raised toe adjustment and move onto the front toe adjustment. Once thats set make sure every setting is still in the green (with in spec) then test drive it.

P.S. If you want to get the raised toe adjusted only the dealer has the special tool to adjust it correctly, and you have to tell them to adjust it, or they won't. Its supposed to be included with the 2 hour alignment.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:20 AM
2nd Gear

Auditech79.

Great post and explanation. Significant clarification.

Thank you.

The rebuilt tranny commes from Ingolstadt- this is the statement of the dealer's shop manager. There are no more new transmissions available, all of the rebuilds are done in Germany.
I strongly doubt it as ZF states their rebuild facility is in Chicago.
Besides, all of the transportation costs,,,,
As one could imagine, there is a wall of dark info to deal with.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:01 AM
Site Moderator

Oh thats ok then, Ingolstadt has the most experienced german techs on the planet, thats where they come new anyway. If they don't make them anymore, thats the only place i could trust to get one. Im certified to re-build tiptronic transmissions and i wouldn't touch a D2 A8 tip with a 10 foot pole. It is a pricey fix, so you have to weigh whether you want to spend the money and keep it or sell it they way it is and maybe take a loss. Having it fixed then selling it i believe would be a larger loss than its worth. So what im saying is, unless you really love the car don't fix the transmission and buy something else. I can give you a list of much more reliable used or new cars from across the world if you would like. I have worked on just about everything, including mercedes.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:32 AM
2nd Gear

It's clear now the transmissions are rebuilt in Texas.
It seems to me Audi has little to do with rebuilds as the transmissions (and other gear related components) are manufactured by ZF and supplied to Audi, Ford, Jaguar, and many others.

Anybody could rebuild Ford's tiptronics, but same tranny from Audi is a mystery...
Legends, I start to believe.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:49 PM
Site Moderator

They may be made by ZF, but its not the same Tip tranny in a Ford i can tell you that. You're taking a gamble with any rebuilt transmission.