Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Transmission woe's

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 01:02 AM
1st Gear
Default Transmission woe's

Hi Folks, This is sort-of a "pass it forward" type posting.

In the last couple months, I've had the "pleasure" of changing the trans in both my A6 and A8. So, right this minute, I have two tranie's with torque converters sitting in my garage. I have 50 bux core charge in the A6 and 100 in the a8. If someone wants either trans to try to rebuild or to use as their core or whatever, I'd be happy to help someone else out. I have until the 15th of Mar to return the a6 trans and the 22nd of Mar for the A8.

The A6 trans is an EKD and the A8 is an EDG. Both are for year 2000 vehicles. I pity anyone else that has to go through the process (although I'm down to about 8 hrs to swap one out and feeling pretty good about that), so if this will make it a little easier for someone that has to swap a trans, great.

If you're thinking about repairing:
On the A8, reverse went out completely, but all other gears worked smoothly. So based on other threads and reading, it sounds like the "reverse drum" broke apart, possibly ruining the converter. It was driven about 2 miles from the point that R went out. All forward gears felt good and solid on the way home, just no reverse.

On the A6 trans, I'm not sure what the prob is. 3rd and 4th would not hold the rpm's solidly through the rpm range. when shifting into 3 and 4th gear, it would shift into gear for about 3 seconds, then the rpm's would free spool (like pushing in the clutch on a manual) for a half-second, and then lock back in like it had shifted normally and stay there. My reading pointed me to the valve body of the trans for those two gears. So, based on that, the tq is probably good and the valve body of those 2 gears is shot.

I'd be happy to help pallet either trans or get it to a shipper for you... of course, you pay for shipping and my base core fee's.

If you're interested in either trans, shoot me an email or reply here.

Paul.

Edit:
The A6 had 250k on it and the A8 had 165 when they blew.

Last edited by blockp; 02-18-2011 at 01:31 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:00 AM
1st Gear

For shipping or if you want to pick up locally, I'm located in WI at 54915.