Audi A8 This full sized Audi A8 sedan offers interior luxury and spaciousness comparable to any car in the full sized luxury sedan class

Wet carpet in rear footwell - driver's side

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 03:35 PM
1st Gear
Default Wet carpet in rear footwell - driver's side

Re: 2012 A8 D4

Greetings all:

I have searched the forum but couldn't find anything on my specific issue. I have an intermittent leak of some sort that affects the carpet in the rear footwell - only on the driver's side. This usually happens after a hard rain.

Unfortunately I have dealt with - and gotten used to - leaks in several earlier models A6 & A8s that I have had in the past - primarily caused by clogged sunroof drains flooding out somewhere in the A-pillar. That I get (however, I don't understand why Audi hasn't remedied this issue over the years). But this one is a bit harder to diagnose. Even the dealership has had the car for over a week and can't figure it out.

I have all-weather mats in the car, but no water seems to collect IN the mat, which leads me to believe nothing is dripping from the sunroof or anywhere above the footwell. However, the carpet underneath becomes completely soaked. Even the bit of carpet that runs up the side of the footwell and meets the door trim, and that seems to be dry. So I don't think any water is penetrating from the bottom of the rear door.

Anyone have any thoughts? I have exhausted all of mine!

Thanks!

Old 05-18-2017, 08:12 AM
2nd Gear

My first response balked. Trying again.

There are several cowl drains to check. There should be two drains in the cowl area just head of the windshield out over the wheel wells. Another located under the climate control airbox. This is the largest one and if it gets clog water will over flow into the cabin portion of the climate control system and overwhelm the condensation drains. This can overflow into the floor. Cleaning out this drain under the air box is a little difficult but if you can snake a 1/4 hose down under it and blow some compressed air into the area (with a little water from a water hose) you can open it up. If you see any water pooling under the air box at all, the drain is probably clogged. This drain is large enough to take a lot of water so any water that gets in there should go out very quickly.

Last edited by dave944; 05-18-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:56 AM
1st Gear

Thanks so much Dave!