AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/)
-   -   Why do I have to lock the steering? (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/why-do-i-have-lock-steering-147301/)

Soundchasr 03-11-2010 11:41 AM

Why do I have to lock the steering?

I still don't have the manual from the dealer so I'm not sure if this is in there.
When I turn off the car I get a message that says hold off to lock the steering. Why doesn't it do that automatically when I turn off the car? Is there any reason I wouldn't want that?

Thanks.

Soundchasr 03-11-2010 10:54 PM

Anybody?

auditech79 03-12-2010 12:21 AM

Never seen that before, it should lock itself the second you remove the key. Is it not locking the steering after removing the key?

Soundchasr 03-12-2010 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by auditech79 (Post 1185842)
Never seen that before, it should lock itself the second you remove the key. Is it not locking the steering after removing the key?

I don't use a key. I keep it in my pocket. The proximity sensor allows me to start and stop the car. So, I'm never actually inserting anything into the steering column.

Brozee 03-12-2010 02:37 AM

Almost positive it is just a warning message saying to either do it or that it does it automatically. It shows that every time I turn off the car as well. Using the push button start as well. Don't worry about it lol :) Just let the car do it's thing.

Soundchasr 03-12-2010 11:16 AM

Well, when I do hold the button like it says there's a loud click as the lock is engaged. So, I'm not sure if anything actually happens if I don't do it....

Brozee 03-12-2010 01:35 PM

nothing will happen if you don't do it. See if you don't do it and you get in your car the next time you drive it if you can turn the wheel. I never touch anything when I turn the car off, and when I get to get into the car the steering wheels always locked. If your that concerned about it I bet just call-up your local Audi dealer and ask them over the phone they should answer it lickety split

Soundchasr 03-12-2010 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Brozee (Post 1185969)
nothing will happen if you don't do it. See if you don't do it and you get in your car the next time you drive it if you can turn the wheel. I never touch anything when I turn the car off, and when I get to get into the car the steering wheels always locked. If your that concerned about it I bet just call-up your local Audi dealer and ask them over the phone they should answer it lickety split

Ok, thanks. Wish I had that manual.........

auditech79 03-12-2010 07:18 PM

Oh yeah i forgot about the push button start, if you are using the push start button you need to hold down the engine off button to lock the steering.
Duh, brain fart auditech..... Try using your key to run it next time and it should automatically lock the second you remove the key.

AWDaholic 03-12-2010 09:47 PM

I eLov a happy ending!!!