AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/)
-   -   Wierd sound at the startup of my 2001 model A8 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-a8-10/wierd-sound-startup-my-2001-model-a8-160066/)

Sharon7777 11-17-2010 01:19 AM

Wierd sound at the startup of my 2001 model A8

Hello Experts,
Please check the youtube link below. Thanks in advance for responding.

If you could shed some light on this, that would be awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1g2qEi0N0

silverd2 11-17-2010 10:01 AM

Try it without the climate control on (completely off). If the sound is coming from the left side of the console (seems to be), it could possibly be a vent flap control stuck and trying to open.

Sharon7777 11-17-2010 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by silverd2 (Post 1260174)
Try it without the climate control on (completely off). If the sound is coming from the left side of the console (seems to be), it could possibly be a vent flap control stuck and trying to open.

Thanks a lot. Your reply make much much sense. I think you'll be right. I'll keep you posted once I get that climate control OFF / vent flap checked. As you stated, the sound mostly come from steering side.

thanks again..

I love driving it except for such small issues that pop up once in a while.

Rosinbag 11-17-2010 04:01 PM

I've heard that before - it's Lars' double bass right before the rockin' part of Metallica's ONE. Seriously, GL with the vent flap control, though...

silverd2 11-17-2010 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rosinbag (Post 1260281)
I've heard that before - it's Lars' double bass right before the rockin' part of Metallica's ONE.

That's it! The Ulrich-Man...it was right on the tip of my brain :)

He's on my hero list for another reason, too. I'm a pro-photographer and make a living on my copyright. Lars spoke eloquently in front of a congressional committee a while back in defense of strict enforcement of copyright law. The same law covers all forms of intellectual property...music, books, photography, etc.

Sharon7777 11-18-2010 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by silverd2 (Post 1260174)

I turned off the climate control OFF yesterday eve and this morning, there was no sounds at all. Just a minute before I reached my metro station, I turned it ON and the same sound came in no time. It was performing the same bass melody even after I turned the engine off.

So, you were right on the point. Excellent guess and thanks again.
Any idea on how to check the vent flap. Is it something I can do it myself?

Thanks guys for checking my post and taking time to respond. Appreciated.

silverd2 11-18-2010 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Sharon7777 (Post 1260471)
I turned off the climate control OFF yesterday eve and this morning, there was no sounds at all. Just a minute before I reached my metro station, I turned it ON and the same sound came in no time. It was performing the same bass melody even after I turned the engine off.

So, you were right on the point. Excellent guess and thanks again.
Any idea on how to check the vent flap. Is it something I can do it myself?

Thanks guys for checking my post and taking time to respond. Appreciated.

That all depends on how "handy" you are, and a Bentley manual really helps.

Just guessing from the apparent location, but could be either the left lower foot well flap motor or the lower rear foot well flap motor...both mounted side by side next to your right leg behind the side console panel. The center vent adjuster motor and defroster flap motor are also mounted on that side, above the other 2.

I've had that panel off before to unclog AC evap drain...it requires taking the panel off under the steering wheel first (OBD port is on the underside of this)...then the side console trim panel w/side carpet piece attached.

Motors are each held in place by a couple of screws and reachable through that side with trim panel removed. If the vent flap itself is stuck and not a motor problem, it should be apparent once you've removed the noise-maker motor...should be able to manually move vent open/closed with your fingers. If the flap is stuck, you might be able to gently break it loose(?).

I've never had to work on these myself, but have seen how they are mounted.

Even before you remove any panels you might be able to isolate the problem motor by manually switching from upper to middle to lower vent settings on your climate control panel...BUT, if the offending motor can't return the flap to closed/open position (depending), it could keep "trying" even with that vent not set on the control...SO could be a fruitless test. With the side console trim panel off, it should be easy to put your hand on the noise maker.

If you want to delve deeper into this and don't have a Bentley manual (or similar), I can give you better detail on panel removal...then motor removal, when you isolate it.

Let me know and I'll check back in.