Audi Q Model Line SUV

Q5 or Q7 TDI - we can't decide and would love some input from owners.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 09:01 PM
1st Gear
Default Q5 or Q7 TDI - we can't decide and would love some input from owners.

Hey everyone, we have always loved Audi's and are now in the position to purchase one. We are trying to decide between the Q5 and Q7 with diesel engines. A few things about us, we are a family of 3 (husband, daughter, myself) but it's not uncommon for me to have additional kids in our vehicle. We currently own a Toyota 4Runner, honestly we hate it. It gets terrible gas mileage and the reason we bought it was to tow our Rzr which it struggles to do. I travel for work, not every day but sometimes I will have to drive 100 miles away. We live in North Dakota, we need something that handles well in the cold/snow as obviously that's what our weather is like most of the time.

The diesel engines gets us the gas mileage we are looking for.

What are your actual MPG on city/highway?
Do you wish you had a Q5 if you have a Q7 or a Q7 if you have a Q5?
Are you disappointed with anything in the vehicle?
Do you know how it handles in poor weather conditions?

Any feedback would be appreciated!!

Old 08-28-2013, 06:52 AM
1st Gear

I too would like to hear more from owners of the Q5 Diesel.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:09 AM
1st Gear

Interested as well

Old 09-06-2013, 08:44 AM
1st Gear

Well we went ahead and bought a Q5 TDI. Our only complaint at this point is space, since there is no Audi dealer near us we bought the car without seeing it in person first. The back seat is a little tight, my daughter doesn't really have enough room to sit comfortably behind my husband. However it still works well for us.

We LOVE everything else about it though. I love the power, the gas mileage, etc. We are easily getting over 23 mpg in the city and we recently took a drive across the state. We got around 36 mpg on the trip which was FANTASTIC. The sound system is great, I love the DVD player and we will likely have screens and wireless headphones installed in the back. It is just a blast to drive and I'm glad we went with it.

Old 10-06-2013, 02:49 AM
1st Gear

I also just purchased a Q5 TDI. I love it. Regarding rear leg room, did you make sure the rear seat is adjusted all the way to the rear. The rear seat slides forward and back and you can recline as well. I'm 6'3" and I can sit behind the drivers seat when I have it adjusted for myself.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:29 PM
1st Gear

We've had our Q5 TDI for a few months now. Absolutely love it! We test drove against the Land Rover Evoque and Discover Sport, and BMW X3 twice, their SC V6 and turbo diesel. Friends of ours also drive a GLK 250 diesel. We also drove the Q5 SC V6.

The Q5 TDI is the only vehicle that combines power, tow capacity, driving responsiveness and fuel economy in one package. It's a totally unique combination with this motor. Power is just always there, on tap, effortless. We live at altitude. I don't actually care about being first, but I do love the responsiveness.

Total win. For us, it's just the right size. I'm 6'1", and have no problems sitting behind the driver's seat when it's set for me. Not sure why people feel they need a ballroom back there...

Gas mileage is excellent. High 20's around town, mid-30s on highway, and we don't drive it like a baby carriage.

Last edited by aragorn1; 08-25-2015 at 06:35 PM.