Audi Q3 Compact Crossover SUV

Cruise control doesn't maintain set speed going down hills

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 04:32 PM
1st Gear
Default Cruise control doesn't maintain set speed going down hills

The cruise control in my 2015 Q3 does not seem to be working correctly. It will maintain set speed on level roads or going up a hill only. When going down a hill, the car starts free wheeling and gains speed. I have been told by Audi customer care that it's because I don't have adaptive cruise. This was not even an option on my Q3 and I don't believe it is an option on the 2016. Every vehicle I have owned for the past 20+ years, none of which had adaptive cruise, has maintained set speed going up or down hills. I have been on other Audi forums and have found that other owners are not experiencing this. If I have to brake every time I go down a hill and then reset the cruise, it makes the cruise useless! Can anyone help?

Old 02-05-2016, 09:02 PM
1st Gear
Default Conflicting info on my cruise control

My manual states: the speed is kept constant by modifying engine power or through an active brake intervention.

Here is the latest response from Audi:

While I am saddened to hear that your ownership experience has not met your expectations, I am grateful for an opportunity to review your questions. In conducting my due diligence, I have contacted our Product Support engineers to learn more about your vehicle’s cruise control. The cruise control in your vehicle will help to maintain your chosen speed by modifying engine power. As the vehicle does not have Adaptive Cruise Control, it does not intervene with the braking system. In a downhill driving situation, the transmission will try to adapt to the increase in speed by downshifting. However, on a steep or long slope, the vehicle may still accelerate due to gravity.