Audi Q5 The Audi Q5, aerodynamics have never looked so good.

2018 Q5 Audi Pre-Sense Problems...

Old 12-06-2017, 03:57 PM
1st Gear
Default 2018 Q5 Audi Pre-Sense Problems...

Anyone else had issues with the audi pre-sense feature? I was sitting at a stop light Sunday AM, when all of sudden my seat belt was tensioned 3 times, really hard each time (hurt my shoulder). Each time the display said Audi Pre-Sense on it. No one was moving around me, I had been stopped for a minute. I took it in to the dealer, they can't find anything wrong. They said when the audi pre-sense activates it makes a log, but no log entries exist! Really weird as it seems like my car attacked me....

Thanks,

Tom

Old 01-15-2018, 06:06 PM
1st Gear

Hi there - I also had this happen to me last Wednesday in a loaner vehicle (which I'd received after dropping off my Q5 due to other software issue). I was at a stop light, first in line, and the Q5 did the exact same thing you noted. I left Audi a message, but when I heard back from the technician today he said they hadn't found anything. I realized that each time I had a "software issue" (what Audi's calling it), I had my phone connected via USB. I asked them to check that connection and hope to hear something from them soon...

Old 01-15-2018, 08:35 PM
1st Gear

We have a 2018 SQ5 with about 3k miles and have had the pre-sense braking fully engage while parallel parking, twice. In both cases 1) there was no risk of hitting the cars in front or behind where we were attempting to park, 2) the car was backing up slowly, at maybe 1 or 2 mph, 3) we were about half way pulled into the spot 4) there was traffic driving by as we were parking, but again there was no risk of collision.

We live in the city and parallel parking is a normal part of daily life so having the pre-sense system jar us once every dozen or so parking attempts is pretty disappointing. I realize parallel parking with traffic going by is a bit tricky for pre-sense to get right, but we are paying for Audi to get it right.

It would be nice if there was an easy way to temporarily suspend the system while parallel parking if it's just going to trigger unnecessarily.

To answer your question... I wonder if there are situations where when you are stopped or going slowly and another car goes by that incorrectly triggers the system? Regardless, there is a bug in the system.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:24 AM
1st Gear

I wish I could just disable the feature, it has happened to me once more since I originally posted this. I haven't had any other issues with my vehicle, just this one. I am hoping if I get enough replies, I can show it to Audi and they will do a full investigation...

Thanks,

Tom

Old 01-22-2018, 11:51 AM
1st Gear

This has happened to me twice. Both were while I was backing in through my fairly narrow entrance to my single car garage. Done it thousands of times, but as I only have 10cm or so on either side I’m very careful. I’m creeping backwards at 2 km/h and BAM all the brakes come on and seat belts tighten. Scared the s-t out of me as I thought Id hit something that I had forgot about like a bike or box. But there was nothing there. Very odd and not enough to want to shut the system off, but maybe its a bug?

Old 01-22-2018, 03:57 PM
1st Gear

Yeah, the bam-omg-what-did-I-hit engage of the breaks is pretty jarring.

It appears in the 2018 model software it is possible to disable pre-sense (it's under the driver assist settings in the menu system). I'm leaving it on for now, but have turned down the sensitivity to the lowest setting.

I've gotten several "Pre-sense error. Contact service." errors over the past couple weeks in driving situations where i was headed down a hill and there was a small speed bump just ahead of where the hill leveled out. The system didn't break the car, it just popped of an error message.

It's a major bummer that there doesn't appear to be a "improved pre-sense" software update on the way. I'm not sure they would alert us even if there was.

Old 02-24-2018, 05:11 PM
1st Gear

I have got this car for about 10 months. I bought it back to the shop within the first 2 weeks of getting it. (trying to return it don't work) It seems like everyone that have this problem lives in a city environment. I can only say if this was designed for city city driving, I have no idea which suburb they consider a city.

Parallel parking is definitely not one of the test case scenario where additional cars can continue to pass you while trying to park. It happened more often than I can count. I've asked repeatedly that it gets disabled permanently or a quick one touch button like the auto on/off. Unfortunately, You have to disable it every time the car stars and it is embedded deep into the menu system. I've given up and can only promise I will never lease or buy another Audi again. Everyday I hope the car gets stolen, but I guess the car thief knows better.

Coming from a BMW that was 3 years older (2014 BMW vs 2018 Audi), will no doubt pick the BMW. You can tell BMW put a lot more thought into their product vs Audi. No wonder Audi have to cheap on their omission scandal. They have to cheat to match the competition or to mask their inferior product.

Old 08-04-2018, 04:44 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by drive4ever
Yeah, the bam-omg-what-did-I-hit engage of the breaks is pretty jarring.

It appears in the 2018 model software it is possible to disable pre-sense (it's under the driver assist settings in the menu system). I'm leaving it on for now, but have turned down the sensitivity to the lowest setting.

I've gotten several "Pre-sense error. Contact service." errors over the past couple weeks in driving situations where i was headed down a hill and there was a small speed bump just ahead of where the hill leveled out. The system didn't break the car, it just popped of an error message.

It's a major bummer that there doesn't appear to be a "improved pre-sense" software update on the way. I'm not sure they would alert us even if there was.
That's good to know that I can disable it.

Old 09-19-2018, 10:17 PM
1st Gear
Default presense failure and drive system failure

I am currently dealing with the same thing. Within the first 2 months of owning my new 2018 Q7 I was stopped at a light, not moving, and with no cars around me and the system scared my mother and I to death shutting down and nearly knocking the wind out of us with belts tightening. No real response that is adequate from my dealer. Just a "we can't find anything". To top it off a month after that the 'Drive system failure light" came on too. Again, they have no idea. Very frustrated-- seems a system problem to me. Crossing my fingers it stops and nothing serious happens.

Old 09-24-2018, 09:50 AM
1st Gear

I’ve had that “Drive System Failure” light twice. Specifically referring to the air suspension, it says I can continue to drive up to 40 km/hr...really?....but to see the dealer. Saw the dealer, no issues. They reset the software. Some kind of weird blip (thats what you get with a first generation vehicle I guess). Also most mornings get the “Emergency Call” notification system failure as it hunts for my phone signal. Thats an annoying and startling beep too. It does that as I’m pulling out of my driveway where the bushes set off the proximity alarms in the bumpers...another annoying beep. Quite the circus of sounds when I start in the morning, all good after that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 Q5 Audi Pre-Sense Problems...