Audi Q5 The Audi Q5, aerodynamics have never looked so good.

SOS service error in no cell service area

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 01:29 PM
1st Gear
Default SOS service error in no cell service area

Hi

Does anyone else get a sos system error when they go into an area with no cell coverage? Audi connect in Canada uses a poor cell system that only works in major cities and highways and it won’t roam on other carriers, so I get the error every time at the lake. The error asks asks me to contact service immediately and makes loud beeps even though there is nothing wrong. The error clears when I restart the engine in an area with service.

Its super annoying because the car starts beeping like the engine is going to blow but there is nothing wrong. I can’t imagine this is the proper setup unless Audi thinks all of Canada has full cell service. My local dealership is looking into the issue but wasn’t successful in fixing things so far but they continue to look into it.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:27 AM
1st Gear
Default Part of the morning cacophony of sounds

Originally Posted by dnb288
Hi

Does anyone else get a sos system error when they go into an area with no cell coverage? Audi connect in Canada uses a poor cell system that only works in major cities and highways and it won’t roam on other carriers, so I get the error every time at the lake. The error asks asks me to contact service immediately and makes loud beeps even though there is nothing wrong. The error clears when I restart the engine in an area with service.

Its super annoying because the car starts beeping like the engine is going to blow but there is nothing wrong. I can’t imagine this is the proper setup unless Audi thinks all of Canada has full cell service. My local dealership is looking into the issue but wasn’t successful in fixing things so far but they continue to look into it.
I have bad cell phone coverage here in Victoria, a common problem as there are too few cell towers, so I actually connect to US coverage across the strait, but not right away. So the morning orchestra of sounds and warning lights are, startup beeps, warning cellphone not connected to EOS (or whatever its called) beeps and display warning, beeps from my proximity sensors as I back out of my garage, maybe there’s something else too beeping because its frightening at first, and then just annoying. The phone eventually finds a service and loses it again at some point. Sigh. I wouldn’t recommend an Audi to someone who isn’t interested in technical doodads and living with them. Between the wheel and MMI switches and choices, the slightly odd way of selecting gears and shutting down, its a bit unintuitive. Oh yeah, I also get a warning every few months that my air suspension doesnt work and drive no more than 50km/hr to my local dealer. Restarting gets rid of that warrning too.

Old 08-19-2019, 02:39 PM
1st Gear

Hi,

I'm still working with Audi Canada but they are trying to hide from this pretty hard. Either way I will keep this up-to-date because I do have some potential solutions with OBDeleven but I'm trying to follow the Audi process for now.

Old 09-30-2019, 12:02 AM
1st Gear

My issue might be fixed.

My q5 was at the dealership and the tech said the modem for the SOS system was still in "shipping mode" and they couldn't get it to change over to active. They did a bunch of resets but weren't confident they fixed anything. That weekend I went to the lake and the sos light stayed green the whole time, even over multiple days. Normally the green light would go off 45 minutes from the lake, when Rodger coverage was lost, and I would get the SOS error message next time I started the engine. Therefore, the SOS system can use data sources besides Rodgers. Also, Audi connect would unlock my car at the lake, which has never happened before. My lake does have good cell coverage, just not from Rodgers just like 80% of Canada.

After I got back home, I called the dealership to see what happened, because everything is working fine. The service desk couldn't answer my questions, I honestly think no one at Audi Canada has a solid understanding how this system works, so I called the owner. He said Audi is aware of the issue, I guess its happening in Newfoundland, and they are looking at, or have, added Bell and Telus service to the system.

So in summary, my main issue has been fixed; however, I still don't understand if the SOS system switches to another carrier when Rodgers coverage ends or does it go to satellite, like OnStar. I haven't gone to an area with no coverage yet, because Bell and Telus have pretty good coverage.