Audi Q5 The Audi Q5, aerodynamics have never looked so good.

Q 7 wiring for aftermarket hitch

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 02:30 PM
1st Gear
Default Q 7 wiring for aftermarket hitch

At the advice of the dealer I bought a Q7 and had the aftermarket hitch installed minus the wiring. The car came prewired for a hitch and there is supposed to be a place to plug in the Audi supplied wiring. But I can't find the plate or box under the rear of the car. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Old 08-11-2013, 10:02 PM
1st Gear

If it doesn't have a factory installed hitch, there won't be a harness at the rear. The pre-wire means the wiring for the trailer tow module is there in the main vehicle harness but you need to get the module, wire harness that goes to the hitch area, the bracket and the plug in. The wiring that plugs into the module is present already and the module mounting bracket is also there. The module goes in the right rear area in front of the taillamp. Then, the module needs to be coded on-line (along with coding some other modules so they "know" there's a trailer module installed). Also need to be sure it's part of the coding is set for North America or Rest of World, depending on where you live or the lights won't work properly (USA and Europe are different). Basically, you need to get it from Audi and have a dealer install it. Yeah, I know.................$$$$$$$$$$$ I used to be an Audi tech so I sympathize.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:43 AM
1st Gear
Default Thanks for the response

I have fuses in the block marked trailer lights. Does this mean anything??

Old 08-13-2013, 08:20 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for helping. You are right. I contacted the dealer and found someone who knew what my problem was. Since I am 8 hours driving time from them, down and back, they arranged to have a local VW dealer do the install with them as backup via phone.
Pa rt of the problem is that the sales staff does not know the cars that they sell. Even though I had done a lot of research I was not prepared for this. But I'm confident I will be satisfied. Thanks again.