Audi Q5 The Audi Q5, aerodynamics have never looked so good.

Q5 2012 (interior leak) windshield/sunroof drain plugs

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 01:09 PM
1st Gear
Default Q5 2012 (interior leak) windshield/sunroof drain plugs

The leak only happens in a down pour and we have had a few which is how I discovered it.

I took my Q5 into the Audi dealership and told them the leak is on the driver side at the base of the window behind the sun visor. I put my hand between the glass and the soft cloth (I don't now what it's called) where the sun visor is located and it was wet. I was in the car once while it was a down pour and water leaked on the steering wheel, which had be investigating where it was coming from.

1st time dealer said it was the windshield and not the sunroof / drain plugs. Went to the glass shop after driving out of the dealership and they said it was the sunroof. Went back to the dealership and told them what the glass shop said.

That was my 1st time and I told them I'm not going to be going back and forth and neither will take responsibility to find and fix the issue. I couldn't get it back in to the dealership and had to reschedule.

2nd time now I'm back to the dealership and they are still saying it's the windshield. I have not picked up the vehicle yet but before I leave out they have to show me why they think it's the windshield.

Has anyone else had this problem with this model/year?

What can I do since neither the glass shop nor the dealership will take responsibility and pointing fingers at the other?

Old 09-11-2018, 01:33 PM
SoCal Crew Member

Could be either..... has the windshield been replaced? have the sunroof drains been serviced regularly like they should? ( part of each service when you go to the dealer)

in order to verify it is the sunroof drains you may need to drop the headliner to verify. May be a costly diagnosis.