Audi Q5 The Audi Q5, aerodynamics have never looked so good.

Q5 dashboard Warning message: Gearbox Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 02:03 AM
Default Gearbox Malfunction at 90,000 KM

I live in the Middle East and I bought Audi Q5 model 2012, the car was serviced from new at Audi Qatar.

On May 2017, I received this error "Malfunction gearbox, limited functionality, you can continue to drive", so I sent the car for service.
  • First diagnose was an error in the motherboard of control unit with estimate cost of about 2000 USD, I paid, but the car was not fixed
  • Second Diagnose they stated that the whole control unit must be changed at a cost of 6850 USD, I refused and they gave discount and final cost is 4,100 USD, I paid but the car was not fixed
  • Third Diagnose: error in Clutch, costs 3000 USD, I refused, so they gave a discount and the final cost is 1,640 USD, I accepted but the car was not fixed
  • Fourth Diagnose: the gear box must be replaced at a cost of 21,000 USD, and after discount it is 10,600 USD
Now I requested to have my money back and get the car back unfixed, but the refused and my options are either to pay 10,600 USD to get a new gearbox or to trade in my car with another Audi to consider my car value at 8,200 USD!

Can anyone help?

Old 03-06-2018, 06:50 PM
1st Gear

Hello Everyone,

I do have a Q5 TDI 2010, and today I got this error message Gearbox Malfunction error , but also mentioned malfunction on my hand break, but something I notice is that as long as I don have to slam the breaks the car can be drove, because when I actually need it to break the car that's when the car shift to Neutral bt the **** still in drive, rigjht here in Guatemala I do not have the guaranty due to the car been old already.
I'm taking the car to a freind that actually works on Audis and volkswagen to see if they can find what is goiong on with this warning.

Regard,
edgjopagua

Old 04-21-2018, 05:21 AM
1st Gear
Default gearbox malfunction

Originally Posted by Q5_Sweden
Hi,
As you maybe read my thread about my earlier issue same as you have right now so Audi Sweden in my town Uppsala changed the mechatronic chipset in the gearbox and only charged me for the work and not the material.
So basically I paid only 8000 Swedish kr for only the time they spent for changing the chipset in the gearbox + service.
They didnt charge me for the material which could have cost me 24,000 Swedish kr ~ 2400 euros.
So after Audi fixed the issue and returned the car the problem was gone and the gearbox kept functioning as usual.
This issue is a supplier defect and they must in fact fix it by free of charge ( by goodwill) due that Q5 2.0 tfsi with automatic gearbox 2009 - 2010 has this typical problem.

I even had a problem with oil consumption where the motor oil level was decreased by half I.e. from max which is 5,2 litres to half 2,6 litres by just driving 140 kilometres.
So my Audi dealer changed the motor pistons free of charge and since that the problem was solved.
This reparation would have costed me 50,000 Swedish kr if they were supposed to charge me the cost.
So basically try to push them and mention that you did some research and the gearbox issue is a fabricate issue and you are not supposed to pay because it's typical for Q5 2009-2010 2.0 tfsi tiptronic models.
Good luck!

​​​​​
good morning

I have same issue with my Q5 2010 it's happened once and I went to the dealer and they informed me that I need to pay 5000 $ to fix it, can i know when you had faced this issue and what was your car model that time ? and if you have any documents can help me with the dealer.

thanks

Old 07-24-2018, 02:14 AM
1st Gear
Default Gear box malfunction

Hi
i have Audi Q5, 3,2 6 cylinder engine, 2011 years model. I had problem with gear box, where I had to change the mechatronic for approx, 4000 $. This was a year ago. Now I am having the same message, problem with gear box, can continue but with limited functionality. The gear box is starting on D2, shifting up to D4 then to D6. The steptronic is not responding at all. Just turned it in and will see what the problem is this time. When o Jad the first incident, I turned to Audi and they did not admit that there is something wrong with th design of the gear box and required around 6000 $ to fix it. Is someone having similar issue with the current failure?

Old 04-13-2020, 01:56 AM
Default Q5 dashboard gearbox malfunction

Originally Posted by Ahmad K Ho
Hi
i have Audi Q5, 3,2 6 cylinder engine, 2011 years model. I had problem with gear box, where I had to change the mechatronic for approx, 4000 $. This was a year ago. Now I am having the same message, problem with gear box, can continue but with limited functionality. The gear box is starting on D2, shifting up to D4 then to D6. The steptronic is not responding at all. Just turned it in and will see what the problem is this time. When o Jad the first incident, I turned to Audi and they did not admit that there is something wrong with th design of the gear box and required around 6000 $ to fix it. Is someone having similar issue with the current failure?
Hi Ahmed

Also got the same car , same issue. How did you fix it? It also start on D2, D4 then D6.

Old 04-13-2020, 08:58 AM
1st Gear

This is VERY common with these gearboxes, and your dealer knows that.

I went to a dealer who checked out the gearbox, and told me my extended warranty did not cover it. It showed an error code that it was a tiny computer part way deep inside the tranny. They said the tranny fix would be under warranty, but not this problem because it was a computer problem, not a mechanical problem. $5500 please.

I contacted Audi Corporate (the service guy will explain how to elevate your issue) and elevated issue directly, and while they were figuring it out, I drove away to a different dealer.

They checked the tranny, agreed it malfunctioned, and put in for repair to a different code. Cost? Zero. By changing the code, they got Audi to fix it.

Five days later, Audi Corporate sent me an email that they had reviewed my case (the original dealer), and would NOT fix my transmission except for money as stated. I had already had Audi fix it for free.

The service tech made the difference. He knew the codes being spit out, and he wanted to help me. He said those trannies malfunction all the time (and the forums prove that).

All of this was many yers ago. I am c553@aol.com and never read these threads. I won't own an Audi again over this issue. Get a service tech who wants to help you.

Old 01-21-2021, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by c553@aol.com
This is VERY common with these gearboxes, and your dealer knows that.

I went to a dealer who checked out the gearbox, and told me my extended warranty did not cover it. It showed an error code that it was a tiny computer part way deep inside the tranny. They said the tranny fix would be under warranty, but not this problem because it was a computer problem, not a mechanical problem. $5500 please.

I contacted Audi Corporate (the service guy will explain how to elevate your issue) and elevated issue directly, and while they were figuring it out, I drove away to a different dealer.

They checked the tranny, agreed it malfunctioned, and put in for repair to a different code. Cost? Zero. By changing the code, they got Audi to fix it.

Five days later, Audi Corporate sent me an email that they had reviewed my case (the original dealer), and would NOT fix my transmission except for money as stated. I had already had Audi fix it for free.

The service tech made the difference. He knew the codes being spit out, and he wanted to help me. He said those trannies malfunction all the time (and the forums prove that).

All of this was many yers ago. I am c553@aol.com and never read these threads. I won't own an Audi again over this issue. Get a service tech who wants to help you.
Crazy!! My 2009 Audi Q5 is doing the same..AUDI SHOULD HAVE A RECALL ON ALL AUDI'S..WE AS AUDI OWNERS HAVE TO GET TOGETHER AND PROTEST THIS

Old 07-23-2021, 12:52 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Freddie Richardson
Crazy!! My 2009 Audi Q5 is doing the same..AUDI SHOULD HAVE A RECALL ON ALL AUDI'S..WE AS AUDI OWNERS HAVE TO GET TOGETHER AND PROTEST THIS
I am in UK and have this problem on my 2010 Audi Q5, I am a 72 year old female living alone and wondered what to do about it and whether I can go on driving the car until I sort it out