Audi Q5 The Audi Q5, aerodynamics have never looked so good.

Used Q5 for the winter...suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 10:35 AM
1st Gear
Question Used Q5 for the winter...suggestions?

Hi folks,

I'm jonesing for a nice used winter vehicle and am seriously looking at the Q5. I drove the Stelvio the other day and it's pretty much a sports car that sits higher. It was impressive but a bit small on the inside compared to the new Q5. I like that the new Q5 middle row can slide forwards and backwards also - allowing me to adjust the interior as necessary. For the same price as the Stelvio Ti Sport, I can get a new Q5 Prestige with the new fancy instrument cluster. But then I thought... wait a minute, do I really need a new car? I just want a nice all-around daily driver/winter car. We already have all the sports cars we want. So this is my thinking...

Get a used Q5, chip it with an APR and get a suspension upgrade. So my question for you folks are:

1) From your perspective, what will I be missing/differences by going for a 2015 vs 2016 model year? I've read the supposed differences in Edmunds, etc. But those things are usually not as complete or meaningful compared to the knowledge base of actual owners.
2) Does the 2016 "fix any issues" that the 2015 may have had?
3) I am considering both the turbo 4 cyl and the supercharged V6. Is this the same supercharged V6 that was put into the SQ5, S5, etc? I am asking since this engine only has 272hp/295tq vs 333/325 in my wife's S5.
4) Lastly, what is considered the generally good suspension to put in? Of course, I'm not going to be racing this and don't see the need for coil-overs. I will likely be happy-ish with the original ride height or slightly lower since I will not be off-roading.

Thanks in advance!