Audi Q7 The Audi Q7, beauty on and off the streets. Refined styling paired with power and advanced technology.

* Ready to pull the trigger on a Q - questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 02:53 AM
Default * Ready to pull the trigger on a Q - questions

Hello Everyone!

After having put it off for a while, time's almost up. We will be ordering a Q7 soon and I would appreciate your help with a few questions. I guess I could ask the salesman at the dealership all of these questions but in all reality I never found one with a level of product knowledge anywhere near that of owners that hang out on forums like this one.
Here goes and thank you in advance for your feedback:

1. V8 or V6?
I have tried both but I've only driven the V6 for more than a short test drive. We had it for a week-end and thought the handling was very good and the engine quite adequate. Is the V8's handling any worse because of the extra weight? Is the suspension stiffer maybe to compensate for the extra pounds? Are the brakes any bigger or better on the V8?
How's the real-world mileage on the V8 vs the V6?
I averaged very close to 20 mpg in the V6 for a day trip up the California coast but the wife has somewhat of a lead foot and would likely average less. What should I expect in a V8?
In terms of equipment, is the base V8 a better value than the Premium V6? I priced a few configurations and the Premium V6 came within 1K-1.5K of the base V8. Does the 4.2 have some extra features that the Premium 3.6 does not (for instance a better trip computer, sunshades and such)?

2. Navigation
The test car we had did not have the nav. system but from what I read it's pretty basic. I have a Nuvi and I find the POI database extremely useful. Without it I'd have little need for a navigation system. What do you think about yours? Did you find it to be worth the money? Is it upgradeable to a significantly larger POI database or would it be newer nav software only? If yes, do you have any idea what the upgrade cost might be? How often do they release upgrades?

3. Sunroof
We spent a day in a vehicle with a sunroof and I'm not sure either one of us was too fond of the see-through liner. With a baby and a young child we may need more shading than that. I read posts about owners that tinted theirs and I'm not sure whether that can strike a decent balance between having enough shading and a good view of the open sky every now and then. Do any of you that have the sunroof wish you had not ordered it ... or maybe the other way around?

4. Back-up camera / Nav System
We absolutely loved the back-up camera. Compared to other units it's exactly what a back-up system should be, i.e. helpful as opposed to imprecise. For instance I feel I can park an MDX 10 times better without the camera than I can with it. Not so with the Audi.
If the back-up system is ordered separately, does it come in a lesser version or does it still have the same color screen that would otherwise be available if the car came with a nav system?

5. Rear side airbags
I see they are an option on even the 4.2 Premium and I never heard of that in any vehicle in this price range. With 2 kids in car seats, would it be advisable to have them or are the curtain airbags designed to suffice? Does one have to deactivate them when traveling with children in car seats placed on the sides? We never deactivated the side airbags in our other vehicles (I don't even think it's possible).

6. Reliability
Those of you that have owned your Audis for longer that 2-4 years, how's the longer term reliability compared to other premium brands? We're going to need a vehicle like this for quite a few years and I wasn't sure if we should buy it or lease it.

7. Leather vs. Vinyl
Are any of the seating surfaces in the 3.6 Premium not leather? There is no visual indication that any of it is vinyl but the audi website mentiones "Upholstery: Leather/leatherette" for standard seats.

8. Side assist
Many reports state that it's not exactly working as advertised. If you have it, do you find it annoying after a while and just shut it off? Do you find it useful at all?

9. '07 or '08
While I guess the lease offers would be about the same, do you think there will be some decent purchase offers for the remaining 07s in a month or so? Are more options available individually on the '08s? For instance we may like to get the nav system standalone, without the other gizmos that are now bundled with it on the 3.6 Premium.

10. Prices paid
The offer from the local dealership is invoice + $500 (not sure they'd offer that together with Audi's low money rate for leases).
I read one report of $2K under invoice but most of them mention a few hundred over invoice. Edmunds TMV was about 1K over invoice and I've always found their estimates to be too high.
How much have you paid vs invoice?

Thank you!

Old 05-21-2007, 01:54 AM
Default RE: * Ready to pull the trigger on a Q - questions

My opinions:

1. V8 or V6?
considering the fuel bill and I don't need 300+ HP on my SUV, I selected the 3.6.

2. Navigation
Definatley a must for a car that you're spending over $50K.

3. Sunroof
The only reason I orderedthis optionis that it makes the car easier to sell. I have 3 other cars with sunroof and I opened them totally less than 5 times in an year. Most SUV owners want the sunroof and I am basically buying this for the next owner, not for myself.

4. Back-up camera / Nav System
I don't think you need to worry about the 2nd question anymore, because it is standard in 3.6 Premium and 4.2 Premium in 2008 M.Y.

5. Rear side airbags
I didn't add this when I ordered mine, until I read an article about the collision test of the Q7 (sorry I can't find the link anymroe), it only gets 4 stars instead of 5. The protection of side collision is weak, so I added this into my order. It is only $350 to make you feel safer.

6. Reliability
No comments.. I am still waiting for my 2008 to be built.

7. Leather vs. Vinyl
In my opinion, the full leather is just not wroth it. Vinyl is eaiser to maintain and clean. Leather crasks.

8. Side assist
no comments, but I added this option anyway. I heard that base on the chasiss, there are many dead spots so the side assit and back camera is to help you maneuver the car better.

9. '07 or '08
DEFINATLEY A 08.

Here is why: (I only have the pricing for 3.6 Premium)

Base Price of 3.6 Premium raised from $45,900 to $48,350, however those extra standard equipments are well wroth it:

- SIRIUS satellite radio: was a $550 option
- Bluetooth: was $500
- Third row seat: was $690
- Audi Music Interface: was $290
- Audi parking system advanced with rearview camera (+front sensors): was $800 and front sensor is totally new, I am so glad that I didn't place the order 2 weeks earlier, otherwise I would have gotten a 2007 M.Y.

Total upgrades in standard features worth $2830 plus a totally new feature, but the base price raised only $2450.

10. Prices paid
$500 over invoice is better than fair. I spent 4 hours in a dealership and the lowest they would go is $1000 over invoice. Rediculous. Of course I didn't order from there.

Old 11-19-2007, 02:40 PM

Hey Sachsi:

I just picked up my 08 Q7 Friday from my local Audi Dealership. I opted for the 6 cylinder because of where I live and hom little I drive on a yearly basis. I dont need the extra torque the V8 provides, but I drove both to make doubly sure I wasnt missing out on that addicting power. The V6 is really quite powerful, as you noted, and gets me along quickly. However, when you stand on the gas pedal like I do to get that great engine growl the "MPG" digital readout between the tach and odometer drops down to like 6 MPG. Note sure how bad the V8 would be.

I really love this SUV, it is so solid and fun to drive. I decided to lease the 08 because I got an amazing deal on it. I almost purcased an 07 which they were offering for almost 9K off list. I negotiated the price down to approx $500 over invoice and they threw in 20 inch wheels and custom rims,which were already on the vehicle and I told them I wouldt normally opt for that upgrade. They do look nice though.

I got the premium and convenience packages on my Q7, mainly because I like the gadgets. I did not get a sunroof, most of the time in South Florida we are trying to shade ourselves from the relentless sun. They are actually having to custom tint the sunroofs down here because the fabric cover lets in too much light/heat. We got the open sky system in my wifes 2006 A3, and personally I am not fond if it.

I did not get the nav package because I dont drive much, usually 6K miles per year average. Most of my driving is to and from work and the beach. I have a basic level personal nav unit (Tom Tom software on my Treo 700W) which works great and was much more affordable than a deicated unit. I can take the nav where I want as well.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:13 PM
1st Gear

Get whatever options you want to spend $$ cash on. Reliability - purchased in June 07 and have about 4k miles now - no problems whatsoever except for the auto close hatch recall. BTW - were you over on benzworld or mbworld? Your name is familiar. Did you have an ML?