Audi Q7 The Audi Q7, beauty on and off the streets. Refined styling paired with power and advanced technology.

Side Assist - Adjust Detection Distance

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2021, 12:52 PM
1st Gear
Question Side Assist - Adjust Detection Distance

Is there any way to reduce the detection distance for Side Assist on a 2021 Q7? Perhaps using OBDEleven?

The default distance is too far, so the system warns when there is a car a good distance away and still possible to safely change lanes, so we often have to ignore it in dynamic situations on the highway. It warns even if the other car is not moving any faster. The result is that the Side Assist becomes much less useful and perhaps even dangerous. Sometimes there is a car within the detection distance AND a car in the actual blind spot, so it is not immediately obvious if the warning is for the car farther away or if there really is a car in the blind spot.
My wife got so annoyed with the issue that she turned off Side Assist after a month, which I really hate for her not to have such a crucial safety feature turned on. However, I understand her frustration with it.

Our previous car (non-Audi) did not have such a long detection distance.
Also, my friend's 2019 BMW has a setting to adjust the blind spot monitor distance sensitivity, so I'm hoping Audi implemented that as well even if I need OBDEleven to tune it.