Audi Q7 The Audi Q7, beauty on and off the streets. Refined styling paired with power and advanced technology.

2017 Q7 Factory Towing Package Not Compatible w/Weight Distrubtion Hitches

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 06:42 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Jeffrey Cutter
I don't see a reason you couldn't flip the Audi one. I got the other because it has more rise (1.5 to 2 inches more) and fits better with the sway attachment. Fortunately I'm under the 6000/600 limit on that trailer.

-Jeff
Great. Based on previous measurements with my current Q7 and extrapolating, I think I'll be OK with the Audi hitch mount flipped up, perhaps with a 1" extended ball to give a bit more rise, like this:
https://www.etrailer.com/p-C40035.html

I'll then either use the sway ball bracket or have a sway ball tab mount welded to the ball mount. (https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Draw-Tite/3442.html)

Thanks!

Old 07-19-2017, 04:12 PM
1st Gear
Default 2017 Q7 Factory Towing Package - 12V Charging to Trailer Battery

I just wanted to follow-up on my previous posts trying to understand why my 2017 Q7 with factory towing package wasn't providing 12V power to my trailer through the 7 pin socket. Problem resolved thanks to a visit to Audi Stratham in Stratham, NH. They were very professional and quickly resolved the issue.
See attached photo from the Audi manual: In the left side of the rear luggage compartment is a fuse bank. In row B, fuse number 9 provides 12V to the trailer 7 pin socket --- my fuse was blown. Once the fuse was replaced, everything worked perfectly.

I suspect the fuse blew during my extended travels when I was running my 12V trailer refrigerator while towing. Not sure how many amps it draws, I will have to look into this.

I misinterpreted the Audi manual: I was focused on fuse slot number 7, which was empty, no fuse was provided from the factory. Audi Stratham explained this fuse slot is not used in the U.S. market and that's why the slot is empty. I mistakenly thought I was not getting 12V power to the trailer because this fuse was missing. Okay, don't laugh too hard. Everything works now, but thought I would share this in case anybody else is trying to resolve 12V power to their trailer.

Attached Thumbnails 2017 Q7 Factory Towing Package Not Compatible w/Weight Distrubtion Hitches-img_3112.jpg  
Old 09-02-2017, 05:42 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by MaximusCub
Hey Snowbird22,

I just received the Audi official tow ball - guess what? They have updated the weight ratings - it now says 7700lbs / 770lbs tongue.

See attached pic.

Hey guys, new member here as I just bought a 2017 Q7 and will tow with it. I have extensive towing experience with the VW Touareg since 2004 and have owned both with and without air suspension. I race motorcycles and tow a 5000 lb enclosed trailer. You guys are over thinking this. This has all been discussed in the VW forums adnauseam since 2004. First of all, if you have the air suspension, you should not use any sway control or WD attachments. The vehicles' towing control will try to counteract these devices and you will be worse off, but to each his own. The VW/Audi ball mount has been the same unit since 2004. The sticker has switched back and forth over the years from 616 lbs to 770 lbs several times so it doesn't matter what sticker is on there, its the same ball mount. Lastly, testing the brake controller without a trailer hooked up is useless. The circuit has to have a load on it, otherwise you will think its not working.

The Q7 I just purchased does not have air suspension as I did not miss it on the Touareg.

BTW, Etrailer.com is a great resource for towing accessories. There is an #8000 lb aluminimum ball mount available that is within a 1/4" of the length required by Audi. Here's the link: https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts...en/AM3503.html

Old 09-04-2017, 10:30 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for your posting, it all makes sense!
Question - Did you ever use weight distribution on your Touareg's? If so, what advice can you offer? My Q7 does not have air suspension, and I would prefer to use W/D but I'm afraid to do so because of the sternly worded warning in the owner's manual.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:51 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Snowbird22
Thanks for your posting, it all makes sense!
Question - Did you ever use weight distribution on your Touareg's? If so, what advice can you offer? My Q7 does not have air suspension, and I would prefer to use W/D but I'm afraid to do so because of the sternly worded warning in the owner's manual.
I never used WD on any of my four Touaregs. Two had air susp. and two did not. They towed better than any pickup trucks that I have towed with. My Q7 does not have air suspension either and I will not install any sway control or WD. It is not recommended for good reason. It will only screw up the Q7's built-in stability control, which does a great job if its like what they had in the Touareg and Porche Cayenne.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:41 PM
1st Gear

Great, thanks for sharing your experience. I have a relatively lightweight 20' R-Pod Trailer approx. 3,500 lb. loaded. My Q7 (steel suspension) droops roughly an inch when hitched up. It tows great, like you say, better than my 2013 Ford F-150. The only reason I'm asking about weight distribution is to possibly level out the droop in the rear suspension, but I agree with you.....Audi makes it clear not to use W/D and it handles very well without it.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:55 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Snowbird22
Great, thanks for sharing your experience. I have a relatively lightweight 20' R-Pod Trailer approx. 3,500 lb. loaded. My Q7 (steel suspension) droops roughly an inch when hitched up. It tows great, like you say, better than my 2013 Ford F-150. The only reason I'm asking about weight distribution is to possibly level out the droop in the rear suspension, but I agree with you.....Audi makes it clear not to use W/D and it handles very well without it.
My steel suspension Touareg dropped down about an inch also but if you look at the wheel well clearance before loading the rear of the car is about 1.5" higher than the front so when you load it, its about level.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:02 PM
1st Gear
Default Q7 on Audi Facebook with Weight Distribution

Hi All,

I have a 2017 Audi Q7 Prestige with the Air Suspension. It tows amazingly! I'm connected with Audi on Facebook and they recently posted the attached picture with a Q7 towing with Weight Distribution. I've also contacted Can Am RV in Canada and they assured me that there is no issue using WD with the Q7. Anybody using WD with the Q7?

Attached Thumbnails 2017 Q7 Factory Towing Package Not Compatible w/Weight Distrubtion Hitches-audi-q7.jpg  
Old 01-08-2018, 11:04 PM
1st Gear

New hear... I'm considering buying a 2018 Q7 and plan on towing our trailer with it. It's a 3200lb dry (3800lb loaded, 400-450lb tounge) single axle trailer. We have been towing it with our 2009 Acura MDX. Although MDX manual does NOT recommend using a WD hitch I have installed one and towed with it without any problems. My understanding was the reason against using a WD hitch was it might interfere with vehicle stability control system.
I am glad to find this thread and reading through it it seems that Q7 too advises against using a WD, as I was planning to use a WD.
So I suppose I should forgo using the WD on Q7. The issue of using a very short ball mount (with a 2" ball) is concerning as my trailer needs a 2 5/16" ball and it seems I might need to raise the ball or the trailer will sag considerably at the front.
Am I really limited to use the Audi ball mount or can one use a standard ball mount with 2 5/16" ball?

Old 01-08-2018, 11:52 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by EdMo
New hear... I'm considering buying a 2018 Q7 and plan on towing our trailer with it. It's a 3200lb dry (3800lb loaded, 400-450lb tounge) single axle trailer. We have been towing it with our 2009 Acura MDX. Although MDX manual does NOT recommend using a WD hitch I have installed one and towed with it without any problems. My understanding was the reason against using a WD hitch was it might interfere with vehicle stability control system.
I am glad to find this thread and reading through it it seems that Q7 too advises against using a WD, as I was planning to use a WD.
So I suppose I should forgo using the WD on Q7. The issue of using a very short ball mount (with a 2" ball) is concerning as my trailer needs a 2 5/16" ball and it seems I might need to raise the ball or the trailer will sag considerably at the front.
Am I really limited to use the Audi ball mount or can one use a standard ball mount with 2 5/16" ball?
You can mount a 2 5/16" ball on the Audi ball mount. I flipped my mount to provide some rise, then installed a 2 5/16" ball. It was pretty good for my trailer, but I've since purchased a 2 5/16" ball with a 2" shank rise to get it up to the perfect height... at least based on calculations it will be perfect, but I haven't actually tried it out yet. (
Amazon Amazon
)
They have 1" shank rise ***** as well...
My trailer is quite a bit bigger than yours and it towed very nicely without a WHD... BUT I have the adaptive air suspension which I highly recommend. Also, even though mine is a tandem axle trailer which tows well, I did add a sway controller since I was not using a WDH and we get some pretty high winds in UT. An appropriate tongue weight (relative to trailer weight) is the most important factor in reducing sway, but figured an extra sway controller couldn't hurt!

Quick Reply: 2017 Q7 Factory Towing Package Not Compatible w/Weight Distrubtion Hitches