Audi Q7 The Audi Q7, beauty on and off the streets. Refined styling paired with power and advanced technology.

Anyone else considering an Atlas

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 01:39 PM
1st Gear
Default Anyone else considering an Atlas

I will try to be very careful and sensitive here, as I realize this is an Audi forum. And consider that I currently own a Q7 (and an A4) and have always owned Audi vehicles.

Long story short, due for a change, and just cannot stomach the new Q7 look, to me it looks too much like a station wagon compared to the model it replaces, too much like a Chrysler Pacifica look. I realize it is a love hate thing, but sadly I fall with the latter group.

Went to the car show to scope for a replacement for the Q7, and was surprised at the trucks that made my list. I will tell you the ones that were not on the list, MDX, X5, QX60, Range. Either lacked 3rd row or cargo space, lacked captain chairs, lacked style, or just too common out there.

Q7 short list replacement came down to the following
Buick Enclave Avenir trim (newly redesigned)
Volvo XC90
VW Atlas

After inspecting all features and taking all 3 for a drive, we had fallen in love with the Atlas. It felt like what the new Q7 should have been, minus some of the plastic trim. Had so much going for it, including the digital cockpit and while the dash layout is not as wow as the Enclave, it still looked good. Space is the most impressive for sure, way more room than the Q7. And the 2-tone leather in the Execline looked slick, as did the captain chairs. Have a deposit on an Execline with R-Line trim, set me back $56K CAD, which is probably $15K+ cheaper than the Q7 or any of the others (closer to $30K savings if you consider the others mentioned).

So to get to my point on an Audi forum (for which I am a current Audi owner). Am I the only guy considering a move from a Q7 to an Atlas ?? There surely must be more guys like me out there, and if so, would love to hear from you as to how and why you were willing to walk away from the Q7 and Audi.

Thanks
Neil

Old 06-21-2018, 11:42 PM
1st Gear

I'm with you Neil - I've got an older (2007) Q7 and as much as I love it, I wouldn't mind an upgrade.

I too have driven the Atlas, and I would stay away from the base 2.0T engine but aside from that the VW comes in 4 motion (audi quattro) and has basically the same engine as the base audi q7. I don't tow with mine but love the space so i'd say the 3.6 is fine.

No fault in wanting to save $$$ either, the VW is strictly striping the above and beyond lux we find in the Q to make it more marketable, which is fine. I feel you still get the german lux and engineering behind it.

I vote - not a wrong move.

-Ty