Audi Q7 The Audi Q7, beauty on and off the streets. Refined styling paired with power and advanced technology.

New owner looking for advice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 03:52 PM
1st Gear
Default New owner looking for advice.

Hi everyone, I've just purchased my first ever Q7 and I love it. It's the 3.0 tdi Quattro version 2007 model with only 60k on the clock and is immaculate.

The question I have is I wanted a reverse camera which this car does not have, what would I need to buy off fleebay to get a reversing camera working on the screen that I already have in the car for the sat nav? Or is this even possible?

Thanks kindly
Gareth

Old 05-18-2017, 03:50 PM
1st Gear

This is a good question. chances are that your nav screen is the same unit that the factory puts in the cars with a rear view camera, however the plug on the back is probably just left without anything in it, which is what they did with the stereos that didn't come with satellite radio. They would just leave the plug on the back for the antenna empty. Either that or it is merged with another wiring harness back there and you would have to do some harness hacking to get this to work. I have never done this on a Q series, but I have seen kits that claim to just plug and play for the A series. Chances are they are similar. look around to see if there are any backup camera kits (and yes the majority of them probably will be on ebay, but it will probably be mostly the same stuff on other sites, but at least on ebay if the item is faulty you can open a case to force the seller to take it back). I didn't see any kits that go to the nav screen when I looked but there are rear view mirror screen kits if you want to give those a shot. but if you are determined to have it on the nav screen, I am sure a dealer could install the factory system for your car. But that will be very expensive. be sure to write up how this goes if you decide to do this, as I am sure it will come in handy to someone else with this project. Also, something to keep in mind, if you get a camera system designed to go to the nav screen, then you may need to have the infotainment system reflashed to know what to do with it. as if it wasn't put there from the factory or at a dealer, the software to run a camera may not be on the nav system, and may have to be uploaded to it. unless you are very good with a VAG Com and somehow get your hands on the software, you will have to have this done at a dealer (sadly). But the best of luck figuring this out!
-Chris