Audi Q7 The Audi Q7, beauty on and off the streets. Refined styling paired with power and advanced technology.

New Q7 owner with questions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 09:37 AM
1st Gear
Default New Q7 owner with questions...

I've got a few questions about the 2007 Q7 I just bought.

1. I've only got 500 miles until the warranty is up. Anything notorious that I should have them check out? ( I do have an extended warranty, just don't want Audi getting off the hook for anything they should be responsible for).

2. Almost seems like the transmission is slipping when I accelerate slowly. Any ideas what that could be?

3. I'm pretty technically savvy yet the MMI is the most un-user-friendly system I've encountered. Does it get simpler? How do I set the navigation system to just show me my current location as I drive?

4. Windshield washer fluid freezes under 20 degrees. Normal?

Old 03-23-2011, 10:55 PM
1st Gear
Default 2007 q7

We have the same occasional slip from 1st to 2nd, but very occasional.
Outside of that I can't imagine what else would go wrong, but it will for sure right after the clock ticks over.

The MMI is pretty easy to get around. I'm not in the car but there is an option to locate the car where you are.

Use a cold weather windshield washer fluid.

Good luck, Andy

Last edited by Android356; 03-23-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:06 AM
1st Gear

I have the same issue, so that's somewhat of a relief. My warranty expired a few months ago and I have the sunroof rattle and steering wheel vibration at high speeds particularly on the freeway at speeds 68+. I do have an extended warranty not through Audi though anyone know if you need to be in warranty to have those items fixed by Audi?

Old 03-26-2011, 10:56 AM
1st Gear
Default Q7

My wife's previous car was an Allroad, they covered some items that were out of warranty anyways. I think it was goodwill and that we have a good relationship with the dealer. Ask your service tech and see what they are willing to do.
I don't know which tires you have, but when we had the Goodyears even swapping back to front didn't change things. Total junk. Only until we got rid of them did the shimmy go away. Having good luck with Bridgestones right now.

Old 03-27-2011, 01:26 PM
1st Gear

Thanks Android, I have the GoodYear Forteza tires, they swapped them when I had the brakes changed and it helped somewhat but still exists. The tires are practically new so i guess it depends on if I can live with it or not. Thanks again for your response.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:24 PM
1st Gear
Default Q7

I swapped front to back a few times and after I replaced all four it went away. I don't know what it was with the Goodyears but they were just a bad bunch for me.
Andy

Old 03-29-2011, 09:13 AM
1st Gear

I appreciate all the input. I've gotten the hang of the MMI system, but still think it could be much better. And it turns out the previous owner spilled something on the console, so some of the button lights don't work- amazed they put electronics in front of a cup holder without any gasket protected buttons! I won't replace it unless it fails to work properly, though. Maybe they've improved it since.

I get the steering shimmy but with no consistency. I commute about 45 miles each way and only at certain points in the drive do I feel the shimmy. I work for a tire manufacturer and there is pretty much no way that tires can be the cause of this in widespread cases- unless they are installed without proper balancing. One of our dealers tells me the Audi gets out of balance very easily and that balancing is far more complicated than, say, a Ford. Some tire shops may not know how to do this properly, which exacerbates the problem.

I'm rambling on, but something else I found out about a common problem in these- water drainage. I had water stuck in the tailgate of my Q7 that had seeped in over the years through seems in tail lights etc. There are drain holes along the bottom of the tail gate that you can see when it is in the up position. The factory installs rubber plugs in them...if you get this problem just remove the plugs and lower the gate...it will drain out immediately. Weird, but easy to fix.