Audi Q7 The Audi Q7, beauty on and off the streets. Refined styling paired with power and advanced technology.

Q7 Interior Lighting Mod

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 11:52 PM
1st Gear
Default Q7 Interior Lighting Mod

Hi all - I haven't posted on here in forever (since I only owned an A4) but I've recently purchased a 2007 Q7 and installed some custom interior lighting on it based on what I've seen and liked on newer cars.

I've posted some pics and if you're interested let me know - I'll provide a full write up on it as well as links to buy. This stuff has gotten cheaper and cheaper and it's all about the way you integrate it to make it look factory that sells it.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the photos!

-Ty

LED driven - optical line around both sunroofs (1 controller so always the same color) Bluetooth app controlled

Non invasive - snaps right between the sunroof support and the healiner - no glue or cutting

Both sunblinds operate as normal, barely push against the small plastic tube

RGBW led strips under the 2nd and 3rd row, linked to the dome light output - so fade on and off with doors

3rd row has continuous strip.

Driver and passenger footwells have RGBW strips, wired in sync with the 2nd and 3rd rows

Once doors are closed (or dome lights are in off position) RGB feature kicks in - bluetooth app controlled color

Once doors are closed (or dome lights are in off position) RGB feature kicks in - bluetooth app controlled color

Once doors are closed (or dome lights are in off position) RGB feature kicks in - bluetooth app controlled color - Original footwell lighting still enabled, dome lights in off position.

Door with EL wire on trim + LED in bin - lights off, wired to interior illumination circuit from door control module

Door with EL wire on + LED in bin - lights on - dim with dash illumination dimmer

Door with EL wire on + LED in bin = door closed

All lights on - Color selectable via Bluetooth app

Headliner lighting when off - visible plastic tube but no lighting or color - fits nicely at edge of headliner.

2nd row - LED strip glued to support rail under seat cushion - Purple (colored LEDs) shown here, white LEDs are off but glowing from reflection.

2nd row - LED strip glued to support rail under seat cushion - White LEDs active (door open) but colored LEDs still on dim (circuit on with key, off with key)

Front footwells (looks like glue is failing, i'll fix that) Purple (colored LEDs) shown here.

Front footwells (looks like glue is failing, i'll fix that) White LEDs active (door open) but colored LEDs still on dim (circuit on with key, off with key)

Last edited by screamin demons; 06-22-2018 at 12:20 AM.
Old 08-05-2018, 09:38 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for taking the time to post this, looks Great! I have a Q5 (2017) & a Q7 (2013), what strips did you use?

Old 12-31-2018, 02:01 PM
1st Gear
Default Sorry for the delayed reply

Thanks for looking - i see you sold your Q7 but you can still mod the Q5

The "fiber optic" strip around the pano roof is this one - https://www.ebay.com/itm/6M-RGB-LED-...NA2:rk:10:pf:0
It can be cut to any length (plastic tube) and comes with 4 LEDs to put at the ends. I found that the larger roof opening benefited from a light on both the beginning and end of the plastic tube while the smaller sunroof at the rear only needed one to appear at the same brightness level as the front one. I left the 4th led unused. The control box and LED's were all easily tucked behind the rear maplight unit which just pops out by prying. As for the strip around the opening - it actually tucks perfectly in the gap between the sunroof housing and the headliner - some pulling, pushing, wiggling and cursing required.

The footwell lighting is a special blend of this RGBWW strip - https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC12V-5M-SM...Kccg:rk:7:pf:0
And this control box - https://www.ebay.com/itm/WiFi-Blueto...XouQ:rk:3:pf:0
(cut at custom lengths per footwell, 5 wires soldered to each strip for R, G, B, W, +) The strips have constant 12v down the +, the W lead was fed from the negative output at the rear maplight unit (grounds when doors open) so they are tied to the dome lights, and the RGB wires were fed to the control box which was given +12v from the fuse block that comes on / off with the key.
If you're happy with the factory footwell lighting that comes on per door, then you can stick to a much easier version that's just RGB and comes with these premade strips - https://www.ebay.com/itm/9LED-Car-In...1dic:rk:8:pf:0
Either way, i mounted the control box in the spare tire well and ran leftover cat5 cable under the carpet to each footwell (since I needed 5 wires for mine and did the third row) but if you're doing the simple version, the drivers fuse panel has enough room to hide the control box and switched / constant power is easily found there.

The door upper "neon" looking strips are simple monochrome EL strips - https://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-12V-Car-...:rk:1:pf:0&var
The door bin lighting is a simple monochrome LED strip - https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Pack-DC-1...r=431388524541
Pick whatever color combo you'd like, and both of these are wired to any of the 12v illumination wires feeding the door switches (meaning they dim with dash illumination and are "auto on/ off" )
For my rear doors i was able to use the 2 wires feeding the ash tray LED (just had to find which was + and which was - )
For the front two doors i used the lock/unlock switch wires (it has 4) but 2 of them are for illumination so there's your + and - (I forget the colors of the wires sorry )

Hope this helps!

If anyone has any circuit or install questions, let me know. I'll check back on here more often so I can reply.

-Ty