AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi Q7 (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-q7-66/)
-   -   Q7 replacement key (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-q7-66/q7-replacement-key-203018/)

mtnxtreme 12-11-2013 04:57 PM

Q7 replacement key

Just picked up a Q7 and lo and behold the key blade broke off the remote, leaving a small piece in the remote with pin. Where can I get a new blade made, looks like I can dissassemble and just put the new blade in after popping pin. Does it need to be reprogrammed or anything? Also what abt. a spare key what are my options, I see lots of key blanks and remotes on Ebay, don't know who can cut them, last time I went to the dealer for my A4 they robbed me!

Jeff-AudiUSAParts 12-16-2013 11:36 AM

If you replace just the metal part you don't have to program the key. The immobilizer portion is not in the metal cut key part. As far as I know you'll have to go to your dealer for the spare key to get programmed and you'll want to bring every key you have for the vehicle with you so that any key left at home doesn't get overwritten, then it won't start the car.

The other issue with aftermarket key blanks is they are usually made of a different metal than the OE keys. Some machines don't cut them well as they key cutting blade can chatter and make a bad cut. Ask whoever you get to cut it if they have had bad luck with cutting a/m keys.

If you go with the dealer the only key they can get is one cut by Audi, off your vin number. That takes a couple days to be ordered and then sent to the dealer, but it is done quickly. It would be the entire key remote and this is why it's more expensive as you know from your A4.

Many key shops can cut these sidewinder also called laser cut style keys. Just call around.

mtnxtreme 12-16-2013 12:14 PM

Is there any way to program the new key using muy old key or with my vag com?
Jeff how much do you get for a new key?

Jeff-AudiUSAParts 12-16-2013 01:11 PM

I believe a vag com can do the 05 and older keys, but do not think it can program the newer one piece keys like what you have. For your car, when it's ordered by vin through Audi they "enable" the key for programming, is the best way I can describe it. But you still have to bring the car to them to get it programmed to the car. This is why it gets very expensive for somebody that has only one key and the car is at the airport with lost luggage, or any scenario like that. Then you have the cost of the key, programming, and a tow bill to an Audi dealer.

We can only sell keys in person, face to face, for security reasons. I can tell you that your dealer should bill that key out at 134.00 dollars, will charge out programming at between a half hour to an hour of labor at 122.00 approx per hour (depends on your dealer labor rate).

You can also get, if you want to, non remote valey key or a plastic wallet key, also called an emergency key. Both have the immobilizer chip in it and would need to be programmed in order to start the car. Those run about 64.00-70.00 each. Over the years one of the more practical reasons I've heard for wanting a plastic key is its thinner than any other key, and for the surfer boy in you, it's waterproof and you can hang it around your neck. Then you leave your remote key in the car, hidden.