Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

"Floating" FWD TT

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Default "Floating" FWD TT

During wet conditions, sometimes the car feels like it's "floating" or "gliding".....maybe even like sliding on ice. It's a bit scary so, I keep it under the speed limit. It feels worse on asphalt pavement than concrete. Is it TTs in general that feel this way or is there something wrong? Tires are all near new condition.....

Another thing, when hitting a small hole or imperfection on the road, the car tends to pull to the side. ??

Old 11-12-2007, 12:28 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: "Floating" FWD TT

thats a feeling i have a lot when driving my mom's SAAB (FWD)
About every fwd car i've driven has done that, the lighter, the worse they do it.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:31 PM
I'm make believe

What tires? Mine had Fuzions on it when i got it and they were horrible like what you are claiming. But with Kuhmo ASX's i have no issues in rain or deep snow with my fwd.

As for the pulling, you might just have a really worn suspenion and the shocks/struts are taking longer to decompress. How many miles on the car?

Old 11-12-2007, 12:37 PM

Tires up front are Dunlop and the rears are toyos....
112k miles

Old 11-12-2007, 12:48 PM
3rd Gear

Mismatched tires are a bad idea.

How is your alignment?

I used to have a civic with an LS integra swap bolt-ons and it would spin the tires shifting hard into 4th gear. (It was quick... but not that quick. Something was obviously wrong)
It wouldn't turn for ****, and overall just sucked as far as traction was concerned.

I thought the motor swap was the cause because of the extra weight. I noticed my tires were wearing unevenly, got a camber kit, had it aligned (itmust have been wayoff before) and got new tires, problem was fixed.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:54 PM

The rear tires wear out QUICK on the inside....the front seems to wear out normally... I was looking into getting a kmac kit.....

What does an alignment run at the stealership?

Old 11-12-2007, 12:57 PM
I'm make believe

Fwd's dont use thekmac kit. But if the inside of your rears are wearing out fast, you have to much positive camber in the rears.

Old 11-12-2007, 12:58 PM

you're most definitely experiencing traction loss in wet conditions. get new tires. problem solved.

I had this issue on my CRV until new tires.

As for kmac kit.. not needed in a FWD.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:00 PM

ORIGINAL: cincyTT

Fwd's dont use thekmac kit. But if the inside of your rears are wearing out fast, you have to much positive camber in the rears.
Well I was thinking about the kmac for the rear.....?? long shot but, is there any way I can adjust camber in the rear?

Old 11-12-2007, 01:04 PM
I'm make believe

yes, take it to an alignment shop and they can fix it. If your not lowered, they can easily do it. Dont even thing fwds need anything for being lower anyways.

Quick Reply: "Floating" FWD TT