Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

I fixed my Comfort Control Module... You might wanna read before you drop a 'G'

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 07:42 PM
1st Gear
Default I fixed my Comfort Control Module... You might wanna read before you drop a 'G'

I just bought my 2001 TT, 225hp Convertible... On the transport truck here it took a heavy rain and the back window was separating at the top corners. And of course, like now I've read in hundreds of posts, my Central Locking Module is fried. I spent a lot of time and research learning about the problem and trying to find a mechanic to fix it. Here's the skinny, installed - best price $830, highest $940 (Audi Dealer). Best part only price ECSTuning $421...
On a whim, I pulled the Module out myself, removed the cover and soaked the circuit board in isobutyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol). For about an hour as I watched TV I used a semi stiff brush (from my beard trimmer) and scrubbed the areas that had oxidation (rust) or discoloring. I dried the board with my girl's hair dryer on the cool setting and let it sit overnight.
Popped that badboy in the next morning and guess what... EVERYTHING works now! Now I just need to get me key FOB reprogrammed and I'm good to go. Thinkin bout buyin VAG-COM from Ross-Tech and never calling the Dealership again. Sooooo, before you drop nearly $1000 of your hard earned cash on an over-priced part that isn't NEAR as difficult an installation as some will have you believe, try cleaning it with alcohol. I hope this works for someone else and I can pass on a little good karma to my fellow "every dollar counts" Audi fans.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:46 PM
1st Gear

On another note.... If any other TT owners who have gone through this have any good water-proofing ideas for the Module, I'd love to hear it. That is my next project to protect my repair.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:19 AM
1st Gear

Being in electronics as a hobby, I sometimes have need of a waterproof solution for use in outside environments.
The is a product out there the is normally used to coat pliers and wrench handles for insulation and better grip.
I use it for this problem and it works great.
Just dip it in and let it dry.
It has never failed in hot or cold climates.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:28 PM
1st Gear

So is this 'wet' control module a problem in the coupe or just the roadster because of the open top?

Old 01-05-2014, 05:34 PM
1st Gear

@ sert57 - That sounds like the best option at this point. I saw Rustoleum makes a product called NeverWet and it says not to use it on electronics, but there are youtube videos showing people spraying it on electronics and running them underwater. I'm just leery of putting anything on that circuit board that might make it stop working, cause then Im back at square one. Once I decide what I'm gonna do, I'll post the results for anyone else with this issue.

@ TheSupervisor - I've never owned the coupe, but it sounds like it's only a problem with the roadster because the back window separates from the soft top and that makes a perfect trail for water to find the CCM. Even one of the mechanics I spoke with on the phone from APR said, you must own the convertible?? When I told him about the issue...

Old 02-02-2014, 12:33 PM
1st Gear
Default weatherproofing for ccm

I found that they later used a plastic box that the ccm will fit in.
Comes from an A4 2002 and up #e09273550208.I bought one off ebay
for $25 bucks.You still need to seal it where the wires come out but gives another level of protection.I have aproblem with my top that I think may be the ccm.Top will not go up .when you activate the up switch the pump just jogs.I would appreciate any help with this.

thanks much
Dave Davis

Old 04-24-2014, 07:36 PM
1st Gear

I had the same problem. My rear window failed and caused water damage to the control module. The dealer wanted around $1,000.00 to fix it.

He then suggested I file a claim with my insurance company. My comprehensive coverage paid the whole bill - except for the bad top.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:47 PM
1st Gear

After the "fix", it only took about a month for my CCM to start acting up again... I finally broke down and ordered a new one off a VW dealer website for $369.00. Installed it myself and took the advice from a very reputable Audi mechanic in Miami, "German Car Depot", wrapped it in a plastic bag before I screwed the box back into place. It didn't even need to be programmed like so many people told me. Everything worked except the key FOB. That will need to be re-programmed.
The top used to only go down and not up by itself at all. Had a guy tell me my hydraulic pump was shot. Yeah it works perfect now... Glad I didn't listen to him. Long story short, replace this damn thing before ANYTHING else bc it controls sooo much. You will never be able to accurately diagnose an issue if the CCM is bad. That's my last thought on this issue.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:57 PM
1st Gear

also if you have a problem with the top going in one direction, check the relays on the pump. They are located on top of the pump under a cover. I had one with a burned contact.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:12 PM
1st Gear

You can try finding an enclosure that was made for a4"s.I found one on e-bay for $25.00The module fits inside and you just have to seal where the wires come out.
Downside is that it won't just bolt up to where the stock one did.You have to a little work to mount it.The module is not located in the best place anyway so moving it to a safer location is a good idea.

Quick Reply: I fixed my Comfort Control Module... You might wanna read before you drop a 'G'