Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

All season tires- best options?

Old 10-16-2007, 10:54 AM
1st Gear
Default All season tires- best options?

Looking for feedback...looking to replace my summer tires (Dunlop Sport Maxx) with all seasons. I've seen favorable comments from members running Kuhmo Ecsta ASX.
Of course I'd like the best of all worlds...decent wear rating, handling, low noise and decent snow traction for here in New England. (really crappy weather the "ole beater" '91 Blazer comes out)

Considering
Bridgestone Potenza RE960 Pole Position (pricey at $223 each here)
Cont Conti Extreme Contact ($109 + I'm told I'd only expect 10K on the TTQ though)
Goodyear Eagle F1 ($152)

Any great experiences or those to stay away from?
Any big deal if I went from OEM (222/45/17) to 235/45/17 ?

Old 10-16-2007, 01:11 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: All season tires- best options?

I have to say ASX's. I just have fwd and i go through 6"+ of snow with no problems in 215/45/17's. My car came with Fuzions and they sucked so bad, i had to drive near or below the speed limit in wet weather and now i can drive like its not even raining

And at $100/tire, can beat that.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:49 PM
1st Gear

Just switched from the Continentals to the ASX. I really like the Contis, and they lasted around 20k miles. They got REALLY loud after about 15k though. When I switched over to the ASX I couldn't believe how quiet they were. Grip seems pretty similar. The Kumhos do feel like they have softer sidewalls though. At recommended pressure (I think it was 33R 36F, whatever it says under the gas cap) I took my usual route to work and could really feel them folding over through a 70MPH set of sweepers. Upped the pressure 3 PSI all around and it went away. Haven't had them in the snow yet.

Old 10-16-2007, 04:47 PM
2nd Gear

Cont Conti Extreme Contact ($109 + I'm told I'd only expect 10K on the TTQ though)
I have those in 225/45/17. I hate them [:@]

When cornering they flex too much. Coming out of a turn you can feel the whole car wobble on them. Not to say they aren't grippy...and I haven't put them through snow yet either. Just they make my car feel wobbly. With my old Kumhos the car felt planted flat on the ground until they started to lose grip, felt like it was on rails.

I have 8000 miles on them...I need to rotate them really badly I just haven't gotten around to it. The rears (being FWD) still have a good bit of tread left the fronts though are pretty worn but still have decent tread. I miss my Kumhos

Old 10-16-2007, 05:11 PM

I run Hankook Ice Bear W300s on my A4. I bought them newlast December and left them on where they were mounted, and the fronts were pretty worn after about 17k when I took them off in early April, but my experience with snow tires that have decent traction in bad weather is that they wear faster due to the softer compounds.

I just ordered two more for this winter and will run them again. Discounttiredirect.com has them in the 235/40/17 for $119 ea. That's the size the A4 Sport Package takes. TT sizes should price similarly.

As for how they drove, they were amazing. I drive from Youngstown, OH area to Pittsburgh everyday and only the worst weather had me telecommuting. I regularly drove through freezing rain and slush with total confidence. They have fantastic grip, and theytrackand corner superbly on everything from slick surfaces to packed snow. On dry pavement they are very good for a snow tire.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:58 PM
2nd Gear

sorry to hijack, I had blizzak revos on the tt coupe (225q) and they were great, new tt, need new tires, was thinking dunlop wintersport 3d s? any experiences/opinions, i live in nothern vt : aka winter weather hereeats a big one, and i have people in the boonies i need to visit.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:01 PM
1st Gear

Got my TT coupe used with Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Haven't had a chance to try them in the snow yet, but wet and dry grip is very good for an A/S tire.... they are LOUD with the coupe though. Wisconsin will throw snow at them later in the year and I'll have a better answer for that then.

BF

Old 10-16-2007, 08:20 PM
4th Gear

I love my conti extreme contact tires. No wobbling, tight as can be, GREAT in the harsh NY winters, I only got the TT sideways once...
And that's only because I was on some nice twisties going 70+ MPH in a hairpin. I learned real quick that brakes are bad, and gas will get you straight. heh!
This was with upgraded suspension also, stock suspension didn't have the chance to really test out the NY mountain roads.
They are directional tires though. If they aren't on the correct side of the car I could see how wobbling might become a problem.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:58 PM
1st Gear

anyone run with blizzacks? my friend has had em on a couple cars now and they are great, especially considering the fact that we live in upstate ny and we see more snow than most of the country

Old 10-17-2007, 11:16 AM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: randomloginname

I had blizzak revos on the tt coupe (225q) and they were great, new tt, need new tires, was thinking dunlop wintersport 3d s? any experiences/opinions, i live in nothern vt : aka winter weather hereeats a big one, and i have people in the boonies i need to visit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: All season tires- best options?