Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Audi TT reliability -- better info

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 08:35 AM
2nd Gear

I got a modest extended warranty and so far (@61k) it's not paying off.

2 more years to go, I guess I'll see.

Old 08-25-2009, 01:18 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by alan93
I got a modest extended warranty and so far (@61k) it's not paying off.

2 more years to go, I guess I'll see.
About 2/3 of the time they don't pay off. Otherwise, the extended warranty companies would not be able to cover their costs and remain in business. Like health insurance, these warranties are best used to limit downside risk.

123 TT owners now signed up. A good start, but more are needed to provide results for all model years.

Car reliability research

Old 09-27-2009, 12:14 PM
1st Gear

Now 134 signed up. Hopefully we'll have an initial result for a couple of model years in November. It's going to be close, so every participant really helps.

Car reliability research

Old 10-30-2009, 11:54 AM
1st Gear

We'll have an initial result for the 2008 next month. Additional participants remain needed for all model years.

To help get your year included:

Car reliability research

Old 12-10-2009, 12:36 PM
1st Gear

We have our first reliability stat for the TT based on owner experiences through September 30, 2009. The reported repair frequency of 55 repair trips per 100 cars per year for the 2008 TT is better than average. The sample size was small, though, so this result is not precise.

Everyone who has been helping--thanks, I certainly appreciate it. We'll have further updates in February and May. With more participants, we could provide more precise results and cover all model years.

Audi TT reliability comparisons

Old 12-11-2009, 02:09 PM
1st Gear

Im looking to get a TT as a daily driver year round in Michigan. Are these things really as unreliable and expensive to fix as everyone says they are? Maintenance is one thing, dont mind any of that as I do it all myself. Aside from the cluster failure(what are the stipulations on getting that replaced for free?), are theyre any common problems.

Im currently looking at a 2001 225 coupe with 86k on it for 6500. If I go to look at the car is there anything in particular I should look for?

Old 01-13-2010, 11:51 AM
1st Gear

Spencer,

You might want to post your question in a new thread, so more people will see it.

My data suggests that, with VWs and Audis in general, the current generation cars are considerably more reliable than those from early in the decade.

You should be prepared for some problems with just about any 2001 car--it's nine years old, after all. If you're stretching your budget just to buy the car, then you're not going to have enough money to maintain it.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:53 AM
1st Gear

Wish I had some reliability stats for the first-gen TT, to help people like Spencer. But not enough survey responses so far.

If you've signed up but haven't responded, please do so. It takes very little time.

Not yet signed up? Details here:

Car reliability research

Old 01-16-2010, 08:45 PM

Motors are basically bullet proof as long as you don't try strapping on a huge turbo. I've had mine several years and have done regular maintence. Just today replaced a coil pack and car is back to running great. I drive it daily and hard at times. Have a revo stage 2 chip and am very happy with car.

Old 02-16-2010, 11:46 AM
1st Gear

Had to replace a coil pack in an Audi? Imagine that.

I'll have an updated result this week for the 2008. We ended up a single response short of the minimum for a full result for this year, so it'll be a partial result.

I'd like to have stats for more model years the next time around, in May. We're very close for some years.

Not yet signed up? Details here:

Car reliability research

Quick Reply: Audi TT reliability -- better info