AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi TT (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-tt-7/)
-   -   The best swirl remover and wax suggestions (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-tt-7/best-swirl-remover-wax-suggestions-129682/)

warranty225cpe 04-10-2009 09:11 PM

The best swirl remover and wax suggestions

Just like it says, I'm getting ready to do a wet sand and compound buff on the car. I've got some deep scratches in the clear coat. Any suggestions before I start this project?(please no lectures about "careful sanding" and other BS). I know what I'm doing, I just need to know what products are good for the swirl the compound buff is gonna leave.

beachchair 04-11-2009 06:05 AM

I've had good luck with a clay bar, for removing grit and small scratches. Followed with Mothers Sealer/Glaze, then Wax.

jakej 04-11-2009 09:56 AM

It's not as expensive as you would think to have a pro do it. Otherwise, I have used a product called "scrach out" and it works pretty good.

ecko2702 04-11-2009 12:01 PM

I use Maguires wax for my rides I have all the cut levels I start with the 8 on bad spots then do the car with a 5 then 4 and so on to 1 the I have the speed glaze which is a polish then I wash the car to remove the residue then I use swissvax wax to finish it off. It looks amazing however it will cost an arm and a leg to buy all of that I worked in a body shop so i got a deal.

warranty225cpe 04-12-2009 12:57 PM

To be honest, black paint is a different ball game. The process might be the same, but black shows EVERYTHING! I had a guy come out and detail my car. He said he would be able to get all the lite scratches out. And he did. Untill I got it in direct sunlight. I paid almost 200$. And I didn't have the heart to not pay the guy. Even tho he tried to refuse payment because I wasn't happy. Him and his helper worked on my car for more than 5hrs. I wasn't about to not pay these guys since they were busting ass trying to get it done.

p1zl3 04-12-2009 02:18 PM

--A friend and myself detailed his massive black F-150 crewcab with the Mother's clay-bar method and it seemed goofy doing it, but the results were pretty awesome. He struggled keeping his truck looking sharp (no dirt roads, parked it under a canopy, washed it bi-weekly, etc) but driving it was constantly muffing-up his black paint. The clay bar took care of the swirls and brought back some of the luster to the paint (high-buffed the clear coat).
--If you want to go ultra high-quality wax then get a tub of GuruWax (http://www.detailinggurus.com/guruwax.html) it's one of the best, using White Carnauba wax. Show-car and exotic enthusiasts swear by White Carnauba wax products. If you want go a little cheaper, pick up some "Black Magic Wet Shine" liquid car wax.... It's cheap, long lasting, and gives a great shine to the ride.

NeXeA500 04-12-2009 02:35 PM

IMO the best wax is Miguires 26. You can only find it at NAPA but its so soft and smooth to use. And since it dries clear you dont have to worry about going over cracks and whatnot. Its great.

warranty225cpe 04-12-2009 03:38 PM

Black is just a nightmare in general. But man, when it's clean and shiny it has no equal. I like black because of is smooth reflective qualities. It's like looking at a pool of dirty black oil. Like a black mirror. That's my ultimate goal. Even if maintaining it is less than realistic.

hotgrass 04-12-2009 05:50 PM

detailedimage.com for wax, i used the p21s and i also used poorboy' sealant and super swirl removal. they have a forum somewhere in there that might be able to help you out. i heard poorboy's wax for black cars is pretty good but not so sure. im not really into autozone/pepboys waxes and stuff.

Mikul 04-13-2009 12:12 AM

I've owned several black cars and swear by 3M Imperial Hand Glaze. It takes care of more ills. It gently polishes out scratches and fills them in. It also removes all wax from the paint. We sure to wax after using the 3M product. Rubbing compound and, gulp, wet sanding are harsher than I have ever needed.

Here's another tip for black cars: black shoe polish. It hides the myriad of chips that inevitably show up.