Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Brake Upgrade: Questions about SS brake lines

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 10:41 AM
1st Gear
Default Brake Upgrade: Questions about SS brake lines

So I just ordered everything I need from ECS. I got the schwaben cross drilled / slotted rotors and Hawk HPS pads. I also ordered the stainless steel tephlon coated lines. I was wondering if anybody can help with the line replacement? I have heard people having problems with a squishy pedal feel afterwards.

Also, do I need to use VAGCOM to bleed the brakes using the special ABS routine?

In all, I'm excited for some new brakes. I know that I dont really need slotted and drilled rotors but they are of high quality and should treat me good for autox and track events.

I also read that if I were to put a piece of saran-wrap over the master cylinder and then close the lid over that, I can change the lines without all the fluid dropping out. Makes since. And then change the fluid the normal way... with bleeding and so on. This way is to avoid using the VAGCOM method.

Any info would be great, and any tips would be awesome as well.

Thanks!

Old 03-21-2009, 11:54 AM
1st Gear

You do not need to use the VAGCOM to cycle the ABS unless you get air all the way down in to the ABS hydraulic unit. This will only happen if you let the master cyclinder run dry and do something really stupid - don't think you will.

You don't need to do the saran wrap trick either, though it may help a little. If you only lose 1/4 cup or less from each connection you will be fine. Normal brake bleed process is fine - just make sure you start the furtherest from the driver and work your way closer (RR/LR/RF/LF) - and make SURE!!! your master cylinder does NOT run dry during the process!!!

Old 03-21-2009, 12:15 PM
1st Gear

Thats all I needed to know! Thanks bud. I am also looking to purchase a LiquidTT here soon. Any advice on that? Like is there any updates coming out for it soon so I should wait?