Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Car went into "Safe Mode" today

Old 05-09-2007, 05:25 AM
2nd Gear
Default Car went into "Safe Mode" today

so I was driving along... enjoying my new found boost. I had already dialed it back down to 23psi last night and everything has been fine since. Well I got on the gas today and was hitting 23psi in 2nd, 23psi in 3rd, and when I went into 4th got up to about 10psi and right around 4k RPM and the boost just dropped off completely. Additionally, the EPC light came on and the traction control light came on. the car remained running, but when I hit the gas pedal to the floor, the RPMs would move very slightly. It moved, just not much (like 500 RPM). Still had power steering, still had everything except power. It was like some kind of safe mode. the engine was running, enough to drive... just not accelerate. Well I was on the highway. It didn't make any noises before or during when it happened either. I backed the key off and turned it back over, put it in 3rd, and let off the clutch... it started right up and had all the power back. I tried to duplicate the fault. I tried everything I did the first time.. nothing... I retried a few more times... nothing. Anyone know what would make it just go into safe mode like that?
I searched the Forum and only found one entry from an A4 driver having a similar issue.

Old 05-09-2007, 07:53 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: Car went into "Safe Mode" today

Its called 'limp mode' as in 'limp your car home mode'. Safe mode is what your radio goes into. (just to keep the confusion level down)
Limp mode will occur in an overboost condition, and the ECU will shut down power to try to save the engine. By any chance were you pushing some boost?

so I was driving along... enjoying my new found boost.
Well I got on the gas today and was hitting 23psi in 2nd, 23psi in 3rd

I see....

; )

You'll need to watch it, if it keep happening, dial it back a bit.