Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

coil pack keeps popping "up"

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 09:03 PM
1st Gear
Default coil pack keeps popping "up"

Just took off the engine covers to change my coolant temp sensor (thats the code the thing was throwing, though i haven't had a CEL all week after resetting...) and I noticed my #2 coil pack was popped up a good 1/4 to 1/2 inch...this is the second time I have found this since I changed my plugs two weeks ago...

I used some pliers and "crimped" the bottom of it in a little more, I'm hoping it'll grab the spark plug better and stay in better...so far it seems to be in there snugger than ever before.

Do you think the driving I did with it "popped" up damaged it? ANyone else have this problem? They're pretty cheap to replace, but why spend good money...

Old 03-21-2007, 09:19 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: coil pack keeps popping "up"

either swap them for hitachis or make some brackets to hold them down. I already have the hitachis and my brother has the push downs.So we got some brackets from home depot and some bolts from lowes (home depot didnt have the right size) and didnt have to modify anything and it cost less than $15. Now his stay down all the time.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:18 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: cincyTT

either swap them for hitachis or make some brackets to hold them down. I already have the hitachis and my brother has the push downs.So we got some brackets from home depot and some bolts from lowes (home depot didnt have the right size) and didnt have to modify anything and it cost less than $15. Now his stay down all the time.
any pics??

It looks like there are some existing bolts I can use, I'm going to assume it's probably the bolt holes you use. Seems easy enough, but you know what they say about reinventing the wheel..

Old 03-21-2007, 11:30 PM
I'm make believe

ill take some pics tomarrow. yeah the valve cover has the holes for the bolt downs so you can use those. Ill post pics and the hardware tomarrow.

Old 03-21-2007, 11:47 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: cincyTT

ill take some pics tomarrow. yeah the valve cover has the holes for the bolt downs so you can use those. Ill post pics and the hardware tomarrow.
thanks man, I appreciate it.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:26 PM
I'm make believe

he ya go.

They are stanley wood brackets (in the door fixture isle) and some long bolts that fit the holes. I belive the brackets are 3" and the bolts are 3.5-4". You should check before buying. Total cost was maybe $15.

No more pop-ups and no modification to the brackets, just bolt strait in.

Old 03-22-2007, 05:48 PM
1st Gear

Two thumbs up Cincy! thanks a bunch, I'm going to pick some stuff up right now... just wanted to see if you found something pre-bent to work. good deal. thanks

Old 03-22-2007, 05:49 PM
1st Gear

I was going to ask what the 5mm hex bolts weren't keeping it down but I guess you don't have them. I'm missing one bolt in my 1st pack but I guess others have it worst.

Old 03-22-2007, 06:05 PM
I'm make believe

ORIGINAL: bcart82

Two thumbs up Cincy! thanks a bunch, I'm going to pick some stuff up right now... just wanted to see if you found something pre-bent to work. good deal. thanks
It may not be the best looking but it so simple and effective. Plus just about everyone here has the engine cover on all the time, unless your racing, then you better have that thing off!!

Old 03-22-2007, 06:11 PM
2nd Gear

My question would be why do they keep poping up? Is there pressure leaking from the plugs that is pushing them up? I have the push down ones and havent had a problem in 5 yrs.

Quick Reply: coil pack keeps popping "up"