Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Door handle broke, Audi charged $275+tax to fix

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 08:08 PM
Default Door handle broke, Audi charged $275+tax to fix

Yeah so I walk out to my car the other day, hit the unlock button on the remote and pull the driver's side door handle and shifted my weight backwards thinking the door would open.

Nope.

The handle slipped and I was like wtf? I hit unlock, saw the lights blink and pulled it again. No luck. So I put the key in turned it to the left to open the windows. Only the passenger window rolled down. Grr.... So I resorted to getting in on the passenger side for the next day and a half.

Then, for no reason, my driver's side window started working again which helped as now I could do the key-window-trick to reach in and pull the handle from the inside. So I made an appt on Friday for Monday morning and bring the car in. The service rep follows me out to my car to check damage, mileage etc and goes to open the door and almost falls back like I did, lol. I explained the issue and he walked around to the other side. He pulls the passenger handle and it doesn't open. He gives it another tug and it opens. I'm at 67K miles so I'm outta warranty (of course) so they tell me it'll be atleast $110 just for them to take the door off and look at it. I agreed and they gave me a loaner ('07 A4 2.0t).

Theguy calls me up about 5 hours later to explain that the cable came off the mechanism and they'll repair it for a total of $275 + tax. I asked if that was to fix both doors and he says, no just the driver's side. So now I'm thinking I'm sure as hell not paying them $550 to fix the stupid *** handles. So I told them to go ahead anddo the one, I mean..had I said no, I'd be out the $110 anyway (which is why theydo that I'm sure, plus of course it takes time and labor to estimate, etc. etc. ) He mentioned the cable wasn't broken, in fact.. he said nothing broke.

So my question is, does it really take that much time and labor to reconnect a cable to a door handle? I mean really...

Old 01-22-2007, 08:20 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Door handle broke, Audi charged $275+tax to fix

You paid diagnostic time for the tech, parts, labor time, and shop supplies. Thats where the cost comes from.

They work off book time. So if the book says it takes say 1.5 hrs to repair the door mechanism, it doesnt matter if it actually takes 15 minutes or 15 seconds, they have to charge 1.5 hrs.

So $110 diag. leaves $165 for labor, which sounds like 1.25 hrs or so of book time by average Audi labor rates. It reasonably takes 30-45 minutes to remove and reinstall the door panel on a TT if your moving carefully (from personal experience) so yeah that sounds about right.

They arent trying to rip you off. They have to charge that kind of money to ensure they have enough to pay everyone and still make money. They actually want you to leave happy, so you come back.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:22 PM
3rd Gear

I try not to go, unless I absolutly have to. That is what keeps me happy, but then again I have been burned a few times in the stealerships so...

Old 01-22-2007, 08:28 PM
4th Gear

How hard is it to take the door panel off?
That might be a useful write up if anyone has done it... save us all some $$$!

Old 01-22-2007, 08:31 PM
1st Gear

It is what it is. You can always go to a private shop, but you better do your research and make sure they are reputable.

For future reference, pulling the door panel isnt any big deal. If it happens again dont be afraid to pull it off and check it out yourself before taking it in. The dealership should be used only if you cant find a way to fix it yourself.

You can always order the parts yourself and skip the labor costs.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:34 PM
1st Gear

The metal centercap under the pull handle inside rotates 1/4 turn or so counter-clockwise and pops out.There is a torx-bolt underneath.

Gently pull the rubber end covers off the outside and inside doorjambs. There might be a couple screws under those, I dont remember.

The the panel lifts up and off the window channel. Dont yank on it yet. First you have to unplug the electronics for the window switches and mirrors. Once the harness(es)are disconnected the panel pulls free and you have free reign.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:37 PM
4th Gear

Is the panel held on by clips er what?

Edit: Never mind someone AHEMdenimAHEM edited their post!

Old 01-22-2007, 08:40 PM
1st Gear

Nope. It slides down into the window channel and is secured by the main bolt under the handle. Taking the panel off is very simple once you know where to look for the bolt.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:04 PM
2nd Gear

I know it isn't on AudiForums but.... the Audiworld TT forum put together a FAQ last year that have links to a ton of write-ups, troubleshooting tips, and other info.

JustJeff has a good number of how-tos and other advice as well.

There is also a good write-up on replacing the microswitch on the door latch, a common failure item when your windows don't want to go up or down or your display shows the door as open when it isn't.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:04 PM

Yeah.. I mean I know why they charged what they charged, I guess I was just bitching about it happening in the first place. ESPECIALLY since both my freaking doors are doing it.

This compounded with all the other little things that have gone wrong with this car such as:
[ul][*]brake lights wont turn off[*]turn signals don't flash[*]gas gauge doesn't work[*]temp gauge doesn't work[*]the electronic display in the center of the cluster is fading and has missing lines[*]my driver's side window doesn't auto-up half the time[*]the a/c went out and the whole system had to be replaced[*]BOTH door handles broke[/ul]
...leaves a really bad taste in my mouth with this being my first Audi. The list goes on, but I only highlited items that aren't related to standard upkeep (hoses failing, etc.) I mean, it's a 2002 with 67K miles on it. It really shouldn't be falling apart at the seams like this.I'm frustrated because I really like the car, and I want to like Audi but they're not doing a good job of liking me back.

Quick Reply: Door handle broke, Audi charged $275+tax to fix