Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

first gen TT for minnesota

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 07:43 PM
1st Gear
Default first gen TT for minnesota

I'm one of the hundreds of thousands of owners of a VW TDI that is part of the emissions scandal. I am looking at selling my 2010 Golf TDI back to VW and I'm looking to replace it with a first gen TT.

I live in Minneapolis Minnesota, and I am looking for some feedback on owning one of these cars as a daily driver. That includes driving it in the snowy weather during the long winters.

I am aware of the timing belt issue of the early four cylinder engines. What else should I look for as a potential issue.

Thanks
Gregg

Old 09-05-2016, 10:41 PM
1st Gear
Default Love my TT in the winter

I don't live in Minnesota--I'm in Alaska, but I can tell you I LOVE driving my 2004 roadster in the winter. I don't have studs on my tires, but I have the grippier winter tires and they have been great so far with no problems at all. The traction system works really well. Its my daily driver.

When we bought the car I was worried that it would be miserable to drive in the cold and we would wind up leaving it in the garage all winter, but the heated seats are fantastic and the interior gets nice and toasty with the top up. We've actually even driven it a LOT with the top down in winter--once late at night we saw northern lights appearing and pulled off the road to watch for over an hour one of the most beautiful displays I've seen in my life. I felt sorry for all the people driving pasts with lids on their cars not even aware that it was going on.

We do keep it in the garage in winter as I don't like having to scrape snow and ice off it, but I wouldn't hesitate to use the TT as a winter car.

The only issue I've had is the previous driver put wheels on it with no spacers that don't fit the car properly. I fixed the spacer problem but I want to replace the rims with factory rims if I can find them.

Old 09-06-2016, 06:51 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the feedback Mollyz. I see a lot of the first generation around Minneapolis, not many of the current body style. A friend of mine has the current body style, and he too put snow tires on during the winter.

Thanks again,
G