AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi TT (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-tt-7/)
-   -   Have you tried making your TT AWD to RWD (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-tt-7/have-you-tried-making-your-tt-awd-rwd-54022/)

auditt225 02-09-2007 12:40 AM

Have you tried making your TT AWD to RWD

I was just curious would it be possible to make my 01 TT quattro RWD (Mean just take out the front axles out)?If so would their be any problems down the line? I'm trying to put more power to the wheels and I know the AWD takes quite a bit more since its distributing to all 4 tires instead of 2. Or can you just make it FWD instead.

cincyTT 02-09-2007 01:20 AM

RE: Have you tried making your TT AWD to RWD

The tt is primarily a fwd car. It only sends power to the rears when it needs to and even then it only sends 20% to the rear from factory. This can be changed by a hpa motorsports controller and send as much as 50% to the rears. The a4 quattro is a real awd system unlike the tt. So you can easily make it a fwd car by just disabiling the haldex unit but it does harm the trans if done often. Making it a rwd would require way more work and cost a pretty penny.

So for a dyno here and there you can make it a fwd car and then turn it right back to "awd" afterwards. I will repeat myself that this is not to be done often or for a long period of time.

And by the way if you remove the axles what are the wheels going to attach to?

XCLR8TT 02-09-2007 01:30 AM

Wow.. I thought in 4 years I had heard every question possible. That really came out of left field.

CincyTT is correct. Trying to change the TT to a RWD would be a huge undertaking. You'd likely have the same or greater losses in doing so. You would still have all the power going to the front axles or lack thereof, but without any benefit.

cincyTT 02-09-2007 01:38 AM

ORIGINAL: XCLR8TT

You'd likely have the same or greater losses in doing so. You would still have all the power going to the front axles or lack thereof, but without any benefit.
i dont know if the transfer case can do that like they do on a evo or wrx/sti. But yeah haveing to send the power through a transfer case in a transverse engine will loss more power than just a longitude engine going strait to the rear wheels.

225tt 02-09-2007 06:22 AM

So if you just needed to dyno the quattro on a FWD dyno you can take out the haldex fuse right and then just run it, but only once and not for along time, just like three runs to get good dyno numbers? Just asking becasue the closest AWD dyno is 3hrs from where I live

cincyTT 02-09-2007 11:56 AM

i wouldnt run it more than that. It really isnt recommended by audi, but what is?

225tt 02-09-2007 12:31 PM

Yea, thats is what I heard just want to make sure, thanks

auditt225 02-09-2007 12:59 PM

Thanks guys for all of the facts. I am new with my car so I am trying trying to get a good layout. So how do I remove the Haldex controller or is their a fuse? How would it ruin the trans? Also this may be a dumb question, but when I remove the Haldex I would be able to do FWD burnout? Is that what you are saying? You wouldn't recommend it though huh?

cincyTT 02-09-2007 01:09 PM

it would ruin the trans because parts are still moving and not recieving power. And if you do it and try to do a burnout after you been warned i hope you blow the trans. I wouldnt do anything more than a couple runs on the dyno and for some they wouldnt even risk that.

achTTung 02-09-2007 01:33 PM

Its not Audi that warns against disabling the haldex unit, its Haldex that warns against it. It wasn't designed for that.

That being said, lifting up on the ebrake handle just enough to turn the 'brake' light on in the cluster will also disable power transfer to the rears. ANY braking does that actually, unless you have the orange haldex race controller, thats a full time power split between the front and rears, regardless of brake or throttle.