Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

lowering question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 09:12 AM
2nd Gear
Default lowering question?

I have a question about lowering.
i want to lower my car with the new wheels i'll be getting soon.
I know lowering springs should be accompanies by new shocks, like Koni's, but i'm in college and $ is low lol.
My shocks only have ~13K on them. could i drive around on springs for about a year and then get shocks?
or should i just wait a year and get one of the Vmaxx coilover kits?

Old 07-22-2007, 12:33 PM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: lowering question?

i have stock shocks and H&R race springs (pretty low drop) on my TT and i've been driving on em for about 7 months. ride's bumpy, but hey, i'll deal with it for being a cheap ***.

Old 07-22-2007, 12:37 PM
2nd Gear

did the handling improve?

Old 07-22-2007, 03:31 PM
SoCal Crew Member

^ya. i took it up to the canyons on stock suspension vs. after suspension. the rides bumpy, but overall once the springs settle (give it a couple of months to fully settle) cornering improved. less body roll. though the understeer improved, you could still notice it.

the only gripe w/ springs & stock shocks is the "uncomfortable" ride. if you can't stand a bumpy ride, get shocks.

Old 07-23-2007, 09:11 PM
1st Gear

H&R Lowering springs and 20's do nice for me. Handle is awesome and you really get a good corner! Bumpy but worth it for the loot and look!

Old 07-23-2007, 11:13 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks! congrats on the nopi win btw.
Wait... I thought your car was a 180? you have duals?

Old 07-24-2007, 12:37 AM
2nd Gear

you would be ok for a short time but pretty soon having the shroter springs will tear apart your shocks/struts... not worth it to me, a friend of mine with a caviler did it and even the smallest bumps, your body would leave the seat it was so harsh [:'(]

Old 07-24-2007, 01:29 AM

the ride is bad but if you can deal with it you should be okay. springs should not take months to settle, i let cars sit one day before doing the alignment and there has never been a instace where it went out of spec due to lowering more. it sounds like your shocks are blown. also vmaxx are really cheap. met a guy at a local gtg and he said he thinks they are blown after six months.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:08 AM
2nd Gear

so, vmaxx is bad?

Old 07-24-2007, 07:52 AM
1st Gear

Dahlback Raceing Cat Back but No Cat and I put a Ko4 Turbo on it. Just need the second intercooler and I pretty much got a 225 TT :-) It does more than a 225 stock right now by far but I;d like to get a stage 3 on her one day :-) Thanks on Nopi! Next week is Hip hop car show at ford field and then Dub Show Cobo week after :-)

Quick Reply: lowering question?