AudiForums.com

AudiForums.com (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/)
-   Audi TT (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-tt-7/)
-   -   more bad news, my crank gear has a chipped tooth & i cant get it off & where do i get another (https://www.audiforums.com/forum/audi-tt-7/more-bad-news-my-crank-gear-has-chipped-tooth-i-cant-get-off-where-do-i-get-another-96879/)

carguytt987 03-30-2008 09:10 PM

more bad news, my crank gear has a chipped tooth & i cant get it off & where do i get another

wow the other shop that did this timing belt really sucks[:@], there is a tooth on the crank gear that is 25% missing (gee you think that will chew up a timing belt). plus i cant get the thing off, is the crank bolt a normal thread? i have put a snap on impact on it and hammered??? im off right now to get some pb blaster or some penetrating oil.. where do I get a new crank gear? guess the car going to be down for a while... might as well put on my water /meth kit i have had for like 5 monthe sitting on a shelf.

carguytt987 03-31-2008 02:05 AM

RE: more bad news, my crank gear has a chipped tooth & i cant get it off & where do i get another

Oh my god.... I still can not get the crank bolt out,,,, let it sit with pb blaster stuck the impact on it ,,,, more pb,,, even tried to heat it up with a propane torch till it was smoking ,, impact nothing I actually split a mac socket .. now i rigged up a piece of steel as a stop threaded it into one of the balancer bolts to hold the crank, and have a 19mm wrench on the crank bolt with a jack on the wrench lifting the car up with the wrench!!!!!!!!!! what the hell?? i put more pb on it and have the jack on the wrench hopefully in the middle of the night it will let go , I dont know what else to do . any ideas?

themysteryman83 03-31-2008 02:41 AM

RE: more bad news, my crank gear has a chipped tooth & i cant get it off & where do i get another

Isnt it a reverse thread?

carguytt987 03-31-2008 03:13 AM

is it?

techbod 03-31-2008 03:21 AM

you have to lock the flywheel to stop the engine from cranking over and its a standard left hand thread, the is a plate on the lower side of the tranny which gives access to the flywheel and you can wedge a screwdriver in the teeth to lock it

techbod 03-31-2008 03:25 AM

oppps I was thinking about the the front crank bolt and not what your doing so it might be a reverse thread/right hand if its the flywheel center bolt

carguytt987 03-31-2008 03:46 AM

it is the crank bolt ,,,regular or reverse?

techbod 03-31-2008 03:48 AM

my apollos its a tad early for me with this so ill try again, you have a tooth broken on the lower crank front for the timing belt and I got lost there lol I was thinking about the flywheel bolts[:-]so its my #4 which is correct and you need to lock the flywheel, they probably use some locking paste on the crank bolt and it is a standard left hand thread ( I cant understand why its on so tight though )

MeanAudiA6 03-31-2008 07:45 PM

well in my latest experiences audi bolts (esp allen) head bolts SUCK ive stripped 5 already and had to drill them out...

carguytt987 04-01-2008 09:36 PM

got it is is regular thread (thanks cincy). to took 2 days of soaking in pb blaster and a 3/4 impact. but it finally came off inone piece. now im just waiting on the gear & crank bolt .