Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

My TT Southern Worthersee Adventure!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 07:44 PM
Default My TT Southern Worthersee Adventure!

My friend and I took a road trip to Helen GA for the Southern Worthersee Car Show. Here are our annals of automotive adventures. Enjoy!

We left Raleigh around 5:00 with a full tank and 500lbs worth of gear. We managed to fit 2 people, clothes, tent, camping food, stove, 2 laptops, and detailing supplies in the back of the TT (sans rear seat as usual). Fortunately we made it to Charlotte safely and stayed with a friend for the night. Early (by early, I mean 5:00am) we departed for Helen Georgia. 4 hours later we made it past BMW's South Carolina Plant and into North Georgia. After downing some breakfast we trekked into the mountains and the trouble soon began. Our GPS system lead us astray for the first and only time and sent us down Bean Creek Drive. Whilst sounding pleasant, it contained a pitted and undulating gravel road winding 3 miles towards our destination. The GPS will give you the shortest route, no matter what, btw.

Name:  leaving3.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  106.7 KB

Name:  helen2.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  91.6 KB

After cleaning the car and setting our tent, we headed to Helen for the show.

Name:  100_0849.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  141.5 KB

Name:  100_0856.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  153.3 KB

At the Show:

Name:  100_0622.jpg
Size:  137.6 KB

Name:  100_0626.jpg
Size:  147.3 KB

Name:  100_0659.jpg
Size:  172.7 KB

Name:  100_0663.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  91.7 KB

Name:  100_0693.jpg
Size:  56.8 KB

Name:  100_0654.jpg
Size:  147.7 KB

Name:  100_0747.jpg
Size:  148.9 KB

Name:  100_0784.jpg
Size:  110.7 KB

Name:  100_0787.jpg
Size:  144.5 KB

Name:  100_0799.jpg
Views: 10
Size:  182.6 KB

Name:  100_0820.jpg
Size:  167.3 KB

Name:  100_0835.jpg
Size:  98.8 KB

Saturday night involved Crown Royal, girls, and campfires. Sunday morning rolls around and after some delicious German pastries we set off for the Mountain run portion of the event. This is where the drama begins. I left Raleigh with my small tool set and no parts. Stupid me, I have a Mark 4 VW, which means my coil packs suck. I had someone scan the car and found a coil pack after begging some folks. (Imagine that, someone else thought coil packs were going to break) After swapping a few coils because I cannot tell #1 from #4 cylinder we were off. Running good with water meth, new coilovers, tune, TIP, brakes, and new coil pack we set off behind the Mk4 Jetta Coupe with a supercharged VR6 with a E46 M3 coupe behind us. We were the third car in line with the pace car. We took off and tore up the local mountain. Great roads, curves, dips, scenery, on a wonderful ride. About 3/4 of the way through I had a intermittent battery light, chalked it up to loose ground and drove on. At the end I pulled off, cycled the key, and... nothing. I checked the voltage and got ~9 volts. A S4 (pictured above with K04S4 plate) pulled off and helped us. No one had jumper cables so we trekked 30 minutes (thanks GPS) to the closest AutoZone to pick up a new battery. We pulled up to the car and found a Sheriff behind my TT. Damn. While my buddy swapped batteries, I find out my car was last registered in Georgia and NC has no interstates record to supply (despite the fact I have gotten several tickets in NC, whatever). After sorting that out we were off to return the old battery (warranty) and grab some food. By 2:00 we left AutoZone and were making good time towards Spartansburg. About 2 miles out, we lost the radio and GPS power. It suddenly hit me. When we scanned the car in the AM for the coil problem, a intermittent low voltage code showed up. I had brushed it off before, but figured out (too late, of course) that the alternator was toast. Despite working for a VW dealer, I had never had a 1.8T alternator fail before and had never crossed my mind. Called AAA and had the car towed to Charlotte (AAA gold is a godsend) Had my friend pick me up and drive my to the Greyhound station. I barely made it on the 10:30 bound for Raleigh. I made it in at 3:00 and was at my desk by 7:00. VW of Charlotte was awesome and had her done early afternoon. My co-driver had stayed in Charlotte and drove it back to Raleigh.

~One heckuva tale...

Old 05-24-2008, 08:44 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: My TT Southern Worthersee Adventure!

WOW.

Perspective man, I've had some troubles with the car before, but never hiked anywhere, or had to take a bus home. My alternator went the day I was supposed to pick my car up from a bodyshop. It stayed another night while it was swapped. I already had a rental, so barely a second thought.

Those pics are great though. I'm a bit envious of you southern guys, you can keep your cars so much nicer. I spent almost 2 years living out of a hotel in Rocky Mount NC for work, I LOVED spring/fall and most of winter there, and my car loved it even more, but thats about where it ends. Wasn't a big fan of the summer heat, although I was out in it playing paintball every weekend. I was 'the new yorker' to the locals there, aka, the crazy guy who played paintball shirtless because I couldn't stand the heat. They thought I was nuts. I thought they were nuts for wearing long sleeves.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:13 AM

Should head up to funtana village. It is on the Tail of the Dragon on the border of TN and NC. That is a drive and a sight worth seeing for anyone. I grew up there in up-state SC and drove all the roads in that area and Tail of the Dragon is the best drive of them all. http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

Old 05-26-2008, 10:28 AM
2nd Gear

nice. I see some cars I know. wish I could have gone

Old 05-27-2008, 12:54 PM

We were going to leave Raleigh early and hit the Dragon, but I had to work on Friday. It's whatever though...