Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

My turbo is leaking oil, time for replacement, need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 01:13 PM
1st Gear
Default the effect

i have recently fixed it within the month. catch can installed.... the problem was 9 months ago i had pulled my fuel rail off to clean intake manifold and when i went to put it back on i had replaced a screw with a longer one on accident and it was spewing gas and oil it seems im not sure it was really sooty. so replaced bolt with oem and all injectors are in now.. no problems i immediately noticed power when that was fixed..fyi replaced my spark-plugs with new ones gapped a .28 and my coil packs a few months ago my MAF is clean and did the boost leak test and no leaks.. the problem now is that when i start it, after about ten minutes it will start to smoke out of the exhaust then get progressively worse. my theory is that the 6 months maybe more it was running rich from the injector being out.. may have coated the o2 sensors with soot and they are telling the injectors to put more fuel in it than it really needs.
i appreciate the help.
al

Old 02-27-2013, 01:02 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by cincyTT
Your turbo is fine. If you look at your intake, you will see a odd flat valve that looks like the DV. This is attached to the head and block and the oil vapor from there is going into your intake and after time can lead to a sizable puddle. Pull the smics and drain them and you are fine. BTW, its sad when a audi mech doesnt know that and 1/2 their models run the same motors.

Hello people, i'm new here, i was googling ''tt turbo problem'' it brought me to this forum, and thats my first post.

Its been two years I own a 2002 TT, 2-exhaust, 225hp baseball roadster, imported US model, it had run in the US up until two years ago when i had it bought and imported.

Problem is, i honestly couldn't find a reliable mechanic in my part of the world, i'm from Lebanon-Beirut, and as of what i've seen mechanics can't tell which wire is which and are best at replacing parts rather than fixing anything or figuring out how the car works.

Last episode of my troubles with the TT was last week, it turns out the turbo needs replacment, the mechanic (the best one i could find) says it'll cost me an 800$, oil is into both intercoolers and all air pipes he says, the turbo is spilling oil everywhere; he says it (the turbo) is still furnishing some power though, compared to if i had it totally removed and ran without a turbo.
  • Fact one, my car has been unusualy consuming too much oil, i'd make an oil change every 2000km or so (about every 2 months).
  • Fact two, the car hasn't been giving out smoke, it has not been burning oil they say.
  • Fact three, I had the flexible pipe(the one that links the engine to the exhaust) replaced a year ago, ever since the car sort of lost its power, the guy that worked out the car back then maybe misplaced the turbocharger damaging it? (I'm not sure though);
  • Fact four, at first and second gears the car seems so powerless and heavy, kind of i have to switch to first gear at every mid-steep uproad; although when on the highway at 4th or 5th gear the car still seems to have some energy, more or less.
  • Fact five, , since i travel a lot i rarely have time for a maintainance check of the car, i never had the benzene filter and oil filter changed up until last week, they had been unchanged for the last 70,000km (two years); air filter i did change twice though.

What do you guys think? based on your expertise, and based on what cincyTT states in the above quote, you presume the Dump Valve needs replacment and thats that, the turbo is fine?

I really need some help here, i'm about to spend a fortune on something i'm not a 100% sure about. Can anyone give me some instructions onto how i could check the DV (or any other part of the car) myself?

Last edited by Freemind; 02-27-2013 at 01:09 PM.