Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 01:38 PM
1st Gear
Default Need advice

My mom and dad are 64 and 71. They drove their Audi TT Quattro convertible roadster occasionally for years, and had all work and maintenance done by a German Auto mechanic shop. The car has somewhere around 80,000 original miles. They decided to sell it, but the slave cylinder went out a few days after the for sale sign went on. My parents go to shop quoted them $3,000 for parts and labor

My folks have put a ton of money into this car. I think the mechanic shop marked them as "Older and willing to pay". My dad thinks he might be able to do the work himself. My mom says she isn't putting another dime into the car. Meanwhile the car sits in the garage with a trickle charger on it so I'd like to help them out.

It will need a smog in California to transfer ownership, and I think registration might have already requested it. I'm not sure where they are with that, but I thought about helping them put it on Non-op, and then selling it "As it". Smog said it would need to be drivable to pass smog.

I found what looks like a reputable transmission shop that says labor would be $525. Parts look to be right around $200-$400 if I source them. The labor estimate seems low from what I've read. I've reached out to a few other shops, but most want to look at it, and it isn't drivable.

High blue book shows about $6,400 for private party.

I was thinking someone might be interested at like $4-5K as is, or should we fix it and sell it?

Old 01-09-2019, 05:50 PM
1st Gear

#1...what year Quattro?
#2... who diagnosed it as a bad slave cylinder?

Clutch issues are a 3 prong deal. Master cylinder, slave, and clutch itself. Take a look at the arm the slave cylinder actuates,
and see if there is movement to release the pressure plate when the pedal is pressed. If it is hard or won't go smoothly into gear
with engine running, it's likely a hydraulic issue.
If the slave is bad, fluid will likely be seen leaking from the boot. A bad master cylinder often will show no leaks, it just doesn't produce
any pressure. Be sure the reservoir is to level while checking.
That sounds like a lot for a slave or master cylinder replacement.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:54 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Oldroller
#1...what year Quattro?
#2... who diagnosed it as a bad slave cylinder?

Clutch issues are a 3 prong deal. Master cylinder, slave, and clutch itself. Take a look at the arm the slave cylinder actuates,
and see if there is movement to release the pressure plate when the pedal is pressed. If it is hard or won't go smoothly into gear
with engine running, it's likely a hydraulic issue.
If the slave is bad, fluid will likely be seen leaking from the boot. A bad master cylinder often will show no leaks, it just doesn't produce
any pressure. Be sure the reservoir is to level while checking.
That sounds like a lot for a slave or master cylinder replacement.
Fluid leaks from the bell housing. Pedal goes to the floor with no action.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:16 AM
1st Gear

That would be a good diagnosis then. It would be easier to sell in a running condition w/smog done and required docs from CA and would definitely
bring more $. Condition overall would dictate your return.

If your parents are reluctant to spend any more on it, listing as a none-op as-is is an option. You could list it as such and see what kind of response
you get, but be prepared for tire-kickers. If it can be done for 500-700 then it would make sense to repair it for the 1-2 thousand additional sale price.
The quote from your parents shop of 3K is beyond reason.