Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

2001 Roadster rear window self repair successful

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 10:53 PM
1st Gear
Default 2001 Roadster rear window self repair successful

Last summer heatwave melted glue holding ragtop rear glass. I glued it back in water tight without removing top with Gorilla glue aided by snell hooks, bobby pins, a floodlight lightbulb changer, Goof Off, and duct tape. The basic need for the window repair is holding the window in the exact place in the top window opening and using a glue with glass adherence that holds for all temps. Gorilla glue has that quality and does not depend on strong compression to form a strong bond. Its drawback of foaming and expansion is actually an asset for use in this repair. Excess expansion can easily be scraped off glass with a razor blade, but not easily removed from the fabric. The duct tape is used to assure good contact between the fabric and glass. The lightbulb changer suction cup attached to the adjustable pole hooked to an S hook from a bungee cord suspended from my garage door bracket held the glass in place until the first two spot glue sites on the left and right sides set up in about 30 minutes. I had the top partially open to maximize glue surface area. I then finished gluing the outside of the glass to the fabric, then finished the inside. Duct tape applied over the glass and fabric gives necessary contact. Remembering that glued surfaces need to be moistened to activate the glue, I made sure to keep tthe fabric wet with a sponge.
Initial preparation involved using the Goof Off to remove the old glue from each quarter of the inside fabric that creates the window pocket. I suggest removing them one at a time, removing glue from top and from the support strap and re gluing each one being sure to leave the pocket for the window to fit. I used the snell fishhooks to make two big Xs on outside and on the inside, connecting them with the bobby pins which can be twisted to shorted and tension the window opening, but also allowing room to slip the window into place where the lightbulb holder maintained its position and took off weight for precise gluing. I ground off the barbs on the hooks with a Dremel so no fabric damage occurred. I kept the defogger wires out to re-attach. Try to be neat a sparing with the Gorilla glue-it expands significantly. A black Sharpie can cover up some mistakes, but you can make this repair essentially perfect. This repair has held up through summer and winter. Not bad for under $20.

Old 07-29-2018, 05:03 PM
1st Gear
Default Me too,, need some help

hi, happened to my 2002 TT roadster. Bulb holder and gorilla glue are great suggestions,,, but I don’t understand how you use the smell hooks and Bobby pins.

Thanks !!! — Howie

Old 07-31-2018, 08:35 AM
1st Gear

The snell hooks were the fishing hooks with the short 6” leaders already attached like the kind you used as kids to catch Sunnies that snapped onto the swivel. The bobby-pins go through the leader loops of two hooks placed diagonally top to bottom and then twisting the bobby-pins shortens the leaders to adjust tension. I used four pairs of hooks on both the inside and outside to precisely position the window and used the suction cup on the pole to hold in place. Then glue and tape.