Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Newbie Intro

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 01:55 PM
Default Newbie Intro

Hello All:

Newbie intro follows.

Finally decided to splurge on a "fun" car. Bought a 2002 TT Quattro 225HP Roadster. 55K miles. White exterior with the baseball leather. All options except the nav which I did not want anyway. Car is pretty darn clean. One owner who was a woman. Car is all original with no modifications. She bought it at local Audi dealer and had all service there. Has had a few electrical issues which were covered under warranty. Fingers crossed that I don't get too many problems in the next ~3 years. I bought it from the local Audi dealer.

The car is very fun to drive and I'd consider it a "sporty" and not a "sports" car. My wife loves it as well and I can see her sneaking it out often with her girlfriends. Right now it's our "3rd car" but if it proves somewhat reliable we may get rid of our Honda Accord.

Living in Colorado the AWD is very nice.

My short list of cars I was considering were 84-90 Porsche 911's, 2006-2007 Miatas, Honda S2000's, and the Audi. The porsches were out due to the fact that my $20-25K budget meant I was looking at 20 year old cars and also that the Porsches need more maintenance, etc.. We've had 2 Miatas in the past so ruled then out. They are also a little "tight" for me at 6' and there's no AWD. I loved the Honda but they are hard to find and also not AWD.

I did a bunch of research on this model car over the last few weeks and then finally decided to take the risk and went for it. Dealer was asking $23,995 and I ended up paying $20,300+ D&H + Taxes. The car is in very good conditon with no dings and only 1-2 scratches/rock chips that are visible. I love the baseball leather and my wife is still unsure. The heated seats and all the other stuff is pretty darn cool. Not sure I would have ever paid ANY extra $$ for the BOSE radio as it doesn't sound any better than the radio in our Accord or Highlander to me. The Xenon headlights still seem a bit weird to me while driving. Guess I'll get used to that. Not sure why someone spent the $$ on the 5 spoke wheels but they look fine as well. Car came with new Yokohama winter performance tires. Guess I'll have to get some summer tires next spring as well. Not looking forward to what a set of P245 17" tires are going to cost.

Not likely to modify the car for more power or anything like that. It's fine the way it is.

I have found the forum quite useful and thanks to a lot of you for helping me come up to speed.

My only unanswered question is WHERE to have the car serviced (dealer or local independent) and whether to go ahead soon (I'm at almost 55K) and get the timing belt and water pump replaced.

This last picture is not MY car, it's a stock photo, but my interior looks exactly like this:

Tom.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:01 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: Newbie Intro

either a dealer or a vw/audi specialty shop. Me personally, i dont let anyone else touch my car.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:03 PM

Hi DT,
Welcome to the forum. I'm a newbie here as well. Where in Colorado are you? I'm in Boulder.
I bought a 2001 TT 225Q a few months ago to replace my ailing SUV. Its been a great experience so far...even in all the snow we've been getting.

Old 01-11-2007, 02:07 PM
1st Gear

Congrads on the new TT you'll love it more and more as time goes on.
IT's just one of those cars that people really take notice to.
and is a blast to drive.

Old 01-11-2007, 03:09 PM
1st Gear

Hey, newbie here as well. Funny you mentioned 911's... I actually had my heart SET on an '87 911 Carrera Targa before I found my 225 TTR. The TTR was too good a deal to pass on (although I didn't really want a Roadster here in the NW, it was such a good deal). The more I thought about it, the more I thought a 20 year old car would just be too much maintenance... although there is a HUGE Porsche following for every model, so almost an infinite amount of knowledge out there on the net.

Anyway, enjoy your TT!

Old 01-11-2007, 03:17 PM

ORIGINAL: dallas4u

Hey, newbie here as well. Funny you mentioned 911's... I actually had my heart SET on an '87 911 Carrera Targa before I found my 225 TTR. The TTR was too good a deal to pass on (although I didn't really want a Roadster here in the NW, it was such a good deal). The more I thought about it, the more I thought a 20 year old car would just be too much maintenance... although there is a HUGE Porsche following for every model, so almost an infinite amount of knowledge out there on the net.

Anyway, enjoy your TT!
Dallas:

For the Porsche's it was a few major things;

1. My budget would put me in a 20 year old car. 86-89 was the sweet spot as they have the G50 trannie. My wife-imposed budget was $20-25K but I wanted to be closer to $20K if possible.
2. Almost all the porsche folks I know personally told me to allocate $2-5K per year for maintenance to keep my car on the road in tip top shape.
3. 911's need valve adjustments. I am mechanically adept but it looks like a tough job for the fingers. Or the wallet if the dealer does it.

T.

Old 01-11-2007, 03:40 PM
1st Gear

Oh yes... I know. I researched the HELL out of the 911 model range. The '87 has the G50 and the 3.2 with a bit more HP and TQ than the '84 - '86. I actually found the '87 I was looking at on PelicanParts forum. The guy was originally asking $15k, but we negotiated it to $10k (it had been on there for a while and he needed to get ridof it). He had owned it for 10 years, it had been serviced at a highly reputable shop in Seattle, and he had ALL service records for it. He also hadmany updated/upgraded items and an extra performance exhaust added with it. It had a lot of miles, and would probably needed a head job soon... which can be a little pricey, so the price came down on the car. Interior was absolutely flawless. Exteriorwas almost excellent.

When it came down to it, though... TT was too beautiful, too modern, and too good a deal to pass on.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:27 PM
4th Gear

Nice ride, mate - how you liking that baseball interior?

Welcome aboard - alot of useful info and people on this board [8D]