Audi TT The Audi TT line, in both the coupe and roadster combines Audi's All Wheel Drive performance with the feel of a European sports car.

Overheating... Please Help/Clarify

Old 03-31-2007, 02:27 PM
2nd Gear
Default Overheating... Please Help/Clarify

Will the green top sensorfix the problem of the needle moving one tick to the right in traffick/@ idle, or could this be something else? I havent replaced the water pump yet. Details below:

Yesterday when I pulled into the carport, car was one tick over temp. I checked this morning and found I have the black top sensor.
I used the climate control interface to monitor (49C) my coolant temp, and when I started it up, it was at 30C, and needle was far left. 5minutes later, it was at 57C, and the needle at 1/8th. 5 more minutes, at 65C and needle at 1/4.
When it got to 85 C a few minutes later, I went for a short drive, and temps got to 92-94 on mixed highway and traffic.
When I stopped for red lights etc, was when it was creeping up to 94/95. When I pulled in to cool the car down before shutting it off, it was @ 95C, then in two minutesup to 102, the needle would be one tickright of middle, and then would lay back down to middle and thetemp read out would be @ 97. It did this 3 more times, then remained stable at 97 for over 5 minutes, at which point I shut it off. Each whole 97-102-97 cycle would take only a minute or two.

Old 03-31-2007, 03:26 PM
I'm make believe
Default RE: Overheating... Please Help/Clarify

find some of deihlrays threads, he has gone through a bunch of simular things.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:18 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks for the reference, his was corroded fuses I think, checked mine, they were fine. Also, I can run cold AC and the dash gauge matches the readouts from the climate control check, so I dont think its the cluster or fan. Meanaudi6 suggested I repair my strut bearing/bushings, so I am going to order ECS Complete Upper Strut Mounting Kit and the green top sensor and see if that helps. thanks again

Old 04-01-2007, 03:11 PM

check to make sure the radiator fan is running when your car is at a standstill. also rev the engine slightly and see if that drops the temp for ya?

mine has been creeping to 95-97 rangeat a stop but if i rev the engine at 3500 rpms for a 10-15 seconds the temp drops back to 90.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:16 PM
2nd Gear

Checked, both fans (sorry for the ignorance[:'(]) up front are indeed a'spinnin. Today the car never went over 97C drove under simillar conditions, let rest at end for same period, never saw thos transients up to 102, so maybe it just the wacked out black top sensor on its way out, i gues sill know later this week. Thanks for the heads up on other things to check. Ill take any pointers I can get.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:26 PM

when checking the fans make sure your HVAC is off as having the AC on will automatically turn these fans on.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:33 PM
2nd Gear

I was checking the fans while monitoring the coolant temp via the climate control recirc/up button method, I think that disables HVAC, but I will check again to be sure.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:34 PM

ORIGINAL: randomloginname

I was checking the fans while monitoring the coolant temp via the climate control recirc/up button method, I think that disables HVAC, but I will check again to be sure.
my AC still runs while I do this. Atleast I'm pretty sure it does. Still blows cold air atleast.

Old 04-01-2007, 10:01 PM
2nd Gear

doh! [8D] fans not running, I just started it back up, the car was still warm, so needle was straight up, neither fan moving, what now? ALready ordered the green top...

Old 04-01-2007, 10:15 PM
1st Gear

Im having similar issues. I just got the car a couple of days ago but only today i noticed it. It wasnt even that hot today, it was rather cool actually. It was cloudy and about 51 degrees. I was out i say for about a half hour, mostly stop and go driving, then when i was parking at my friends house, i noticed the temp needle was a tad bit further to the right from middle. Usually the needle would be SMACK center but today it went a bit more to the right. Im gonna check the fluid and fans tomorrow. I hope its nothing major, i just got this car. [X(]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Overheating... Please Help/Clarify